ZEISS Lens Discounts - Save Up To 220!

Best add on lens for product photography

LaVid New Member
11 Jul 2019 8:20AM
Hi everybody, I'm using my Samsung S8 to photograph my jewellery (makes it quick to post on social media etc). I use a light tent but as you can imagine my jewellery is small and I can't get close enough and focus to get great photos. I'm looking for an add on lens that will allow me to focus close enough to fill the camera screen with - for example a pair of earrings.

It would be great if anyone could give me some advise on the type of lens I should be looking at ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
9 9.5k 35 Norway
11 Jul 2019 8:45AM
Hi Karen, and welcome to ePz
A quick google found lots of results - for example this complete lens kit on Amazon
LaVid New Member
11 Jul 2019 8:57AM
Hi Saltireblue - Thanks very much for the link, I'm thinking of a kit like this but thought it might be better if I bought just one better quality lens for doing just this one thing ?
saltireblue Plus
9 9.5k 35 Norway
11 Jul 2019 10:44AM
If you need only a macro lens, then I personally would buy just that. Just remember that you also need a mini-tripod and phone case to attach to the tripod.
Remember that for close-up/macro photography it is essential to use a tripod to ensure pin-sharp images, and use self-timer so you don't have to touch the phone while taking the picture.
LaVid New Member
11 Jul 2019 6:13PM
Thanks for the advice Saltireblue, I do have a cheap macro lens but I have to be too close to use it, I don't know if they do macro lenses that can be used far enough away to take a photo of the whole pair of earrings (mine would just do a small part).

I have attached a photo of a ring I took, you can see that I couldn't get the whole ring in the photo.325980_1562865156.jpg

thewilliam2 2 1.2k
12 Jul 2019 9:00AM
LaVid, you need to be aware that the depth of field decreases dramatically as we get closer.

Check out "Focus Stacking" with your camera. This is where the camera takes a series of pictures at fifferent focus distances which are then combined in Photoshop. The experts combine hundreds, or sometimes even or thousands, of images to get the impression of incredible DoF.

In the example shot, different framing would have included the whole ring.
saltireblue Plus
9 9.5k 35 Norway
12 Jul 2019 9:13AM

Quote:LaVid, you need to be aware that the depth of field decreases dramatically as we get closer.

Check out "Focus Stacking" with your camera. This is where the camera takes a series of pictures at fifferent focus distances which are then combined in Photoshop. The experts combine hundreds, or sometimes even or thousands, of images to get the impression of incredible DoF.

In the example shot, different framing would have included the whole ring.

The OP is using a Samsung Galaxy S8. Not sure phones have a stacking feature...
thewilliam2 2 1.2k
12 Jul 2019 1:24PM

Quote:
The OP is using a Samsung Galaxy S8. Not sure phones have a stacking feature...

My own phone just makes and receives calls! Please excuse my ignorance. Can pix be uploaded from a phone into something like Photoshop?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.