Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

USA Landscape Photographer of the Year 2016 open to entries NOW!

Best background for dark skin ?

dalowsons 12 89 Australia
30 Aug 2006 11:42PM
Hi all,

Without being too non-PC, I am doing some portraits this weekend with an Indian gentleman who I have been told is quite dark skinned.

In my teeny studio, I generally shoot against either a pure white or pure black background, although I may have a grey / blue option as well.

Has anyone had any experience with darker models (either African or Indian) and found a particular preference for a darker or lighter BACKGROUND to enhance / bring out their skin tones ? I don't want my subject to blend into the background too much, but I am also worried about excessive contrast betweeen a light background and dark skin.

Any advice / voices of experience appreciated Smile

Thanks !

Alexandra.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scottishphototours 12 2.6k 2
31 Aug 2006 12:04PM
Alexandra,

I've used a sand-coloured background for dark-skinned people before that worked really well. Lastolite do one - look here - "Arizona" looks good.

Failing this, go and get yourself a very large cardboard box and a couple of tins of spray paint (off-white and darkish-brown tones) and make yourself one ! - I did this in the past and it works well.

Andy.
muzzeyman 12 293 United Kingdom
31 Aug 2006 3:18PM
I've photographed an Indian girl against a grey/blue marble effect backdrop and that worked a treat.

If you shoot the gentleman against a black background then you can achieve some really great moody shots, if you've got a snoot or honeycomb. But I suppose that will depend on what your client wants.

HTH
Phil.
dalowsons 12 89 Australia
31 Aug 2006 6:17PM
Thanks for your suggestions, I really appreciate your time.

Alexandra.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.