Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Best bits of Devon

robob 17 1.0k England
10 Dec 2005 3:32AM
We've decided to visit Devon for a break next year. Having never been there before I'm after some tips on the best areas.

We generally like to stay in self catering accommodation overlooking the sea.

Can anyone recommend a good area to stay with lots of touristy things to do?

Thanks
Rob
10 Dec 2005 9:10AM
Salcombe.

Great place - gets a bit busy in summer and full of educated idiots, but the views are great and has some great pubs.
robob 17 1.0k England
10 Dec 2005 11:10AM
Thanks Dave, I'll have a look at Salcome. The GF wants to visit Monkey World after seeing the TV program.
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
10 Dec 2005 11:28AM
If you are going to Monkey World it would be worth going a little further and visting Corfe Castle, Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door as they are all in the same area. It's well into Dorset and there is a lot of lovely country + all sorts of attractions around.

Monkey World itself didn't use to be set up for photography as their idea was the the needs of the apes came first. I believe the new Lemur walk is quite something though
Westers 16 3.9k 1 Burkina Faso
10 Dec 2005 11:45AM
Exmoor - all of it.

Also look at Pressman's portfolio as he lives arround Exmoor and you'll see just how pretty it is.
marshy 15 4
10 Dec 2005 11:48AM
Hi Rob if youre planning on going to North Devon, Ilfracombe would probably be the best place to make base camp. Its not a large seaside town but is probably the busiest place on the north coast.Within short driving distance of many the smaller towns and villages like
Woolacombe (the best beach in nth Devon).Lynton & lynmouth a beautiful village with small harbour, row of old thatched cottages a great place for photography. close by is the Valley of rocks beautiful cliff top walks great for photography.
There are many other scenic places nearby for example
Combemartin, Clovelly very old fishing village with lots of character. Croyde great 4 surfing. Watermouth bay/ castle.Many more lovely beaches and scenic spots all within a 10 mile stretch of coast,with the market town of Barsnstaple central to all.
Regards Marshy
Mark_Readman 15 922
10 Dec 2005 1:52PM
go to Dawlish in devon, it's the best photography location in the area and slap bang in the middle of everything, it quite and pleasent with no yobs, nice sea views, good walks, black swans, minimumn amusments (1) good food, good drink !

...www.dawlish.net/...
Just Jas Plus
19 26.3k 1 England
10 Dec 2005 2:28PM
Dawlish - A nice park, a nice little river, terrific rock pools when the tide is out, and a nice red rock to climb on the west side.

At least, that's how I remember it aged 10!

Must be quite nice, now all the barbed wire has gone!

Was my favourite holiday place, actually.

Paignton is fab also. noice little harbour.

jas
tf 17 156
11 Dec 2005 2:50AM
I would steer well clear of Dawlish unless you're after the Martin Parr type of shot.
Just Jas Plus
19 26.3k 1 England
11 Dec 2005 4:45AM
Who's Martin Parr?
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
11 Dec 2005 4:57AM
keith selmes 17 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
11 Dec 2005 3:16PM

Quote:I would steer well clear of Dawlish unless you're after the Martin Parr type of shot.

cobblers
vickyh 19 706 United Kingdom
11 Dec 2005 11:42PM
As well as Salcombe, if you're in South Devon, then also consider: Dartmouth, Bantham, Bigbury, Plymouth Hoe and the Barbican, Brixham and of course Dartmoor!

I think you've probably got to decide if you're going to concentrate on North or South Devon.

If you want to stay in the South, then the South Hams area is a great place to base yourself and there's plenty of accommodation you can find on the Internet.
User_Removed 17 268
12 Dec 2005 3:45AM
North Devon. Exmoor.... There's nowhere better and the walks on the SW coast path along that part are amazing.
Ade_Osman 17 4.5k 36 England
12 Dec 2005 3:49AM
Lynton/Lynmouth/Watersmeet.....Thats a days photography on its own!

Ade

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.