Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Best camera for a 14yo beginner.

Birthday looms in September for my granddaughter. She has a huge interest in snapping away has done since she was 7yo. I just want to know what people consider a good (Not too expensive) entry beginner camera. DSLR though.
Thanks.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

nikon d3300 or canon 750d not much between them both nice and easy
Philh04 Plus
11 1.1k United Kingdom
18 Jul 2017 6:03PM
Great to hear of a youngster gaining an interest in photography... does she have any particular favourite subject? What is she using at the moment? If she is already used to a system it may be worth sticking with that.
Thanks for the comments folks.
KarenFB Plus
11 4.8k 171 England
18 Jul 2017 8:19PM
Can't help you choose a camera for your grand-daughter............it's one of those personal things, she needs to go into a shop and handle a few to see which 'fit'. Smile

But, it would be lovely if, when she gets her camera, she started her own EPZ portfolio - she would be a Junior until her 16th birthday and get plenty of hints and tips on how to improve. We'd make her very welcome! Smile
steveh5 6 90 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2017 8:40AM
Second that from Karen, try lots before buying. Don't forget the micro 4/3 cameras. They can give great results in a smaller and lighter form factor but still retain all the creativity of a full DSLR.
RoyBoy 12 239 2 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2017 9:18AM
Good point made by steveh5. Would definitely recommend consideration to a micro 4/3. Has all the benefits of a DLSR and then some. Plus smaller and lighter. For many years I was a full frame DSLR user and almost a year ago I moved over to Olympus, which I don't regret for one moment.
19 Jul 2017 12:45PM
Hi,
Karen FB makes a very very important point, does the camera "leap into the hand"
This was advice I received from a professional photographer when considering my DSLR. Desperately wanted a Nikon until I picked up my Sony. It now feels like an extension of my arm when I hold it, would not swap.. I want to use it.
I would also suggest a camera that she can grow in to...
Hope this helps
DaveRyder Plus
3 1.9k 1 United Kingdom
19 Jul 2017 1:06PM
A decent second hand OMD E-M10 might fit the bill.
Everything from full auto to full manual and the EVF is good (Ok I've got one so I'm biased)
With a singe wide range zoom or the pair of kit lenses it easy to use and not to heavy.

Some quite good prices around for used bodies since the E-M10 mk2 was released.

The zooms are particularly good for shallow DofF but again reasonably priced primes are still light and compact.

I moved from a Stylus 1 and E410 to a single E-M10 (and yes I've added a few bits of glass as I've gone along). With the Oly14-42 it's hardly bigger than a bridge camera

Good luck and hope you get the right kit for her.
SlowSong Plus
9 7.0k 30 England
19 Jul 2017 1:11PM
Olympus? Really? For a beginner? Even I can't find my way around the menu system on Olympuses and I've been around a long time.

I think it'd be easier to learn on an older, beginner's model of an APSC Canon DSLR with a kit lens. Any model would do and cheap to pic up second hand. Easy to understand and use, and much easier to use in Manual.

Chris_L 3 3.9k United Kingdom
19 Jul 2017 1:35PM
A basic entry level camera with a kit lens will struggle to produce photographs that distinguish themselves from what she can get with her smartphone.

If she were my grand daughter I'd be investing in a 35mm or 50mm wide aperture (eg f1.8) sharp prime lens for portraiture or street shooting, perhaps a wider angle for landscape and cityscape.

Whilst manual controls and learning how to use them will help you really need to think about lens as much as about camera.

Each great lens changes the camera from one camera to another camera.

Too many people buy interchangeable lens cameras (ILC) but never change the lens!
19 Jul 2017 2:11PM
I must take issue with Chris about the quality of results from entry-level DSLR cameras. Does he use Canon?

With Nikon, the image-quality from an entry-level body is much the same as that from a "professional" model from the same generation because they share a lot of parts. The differences are mechanical build quality and durability plus flexibility and convenience of use. The VRII version of the 18-55mm kit lens is a stellar performer, equal to any "pro" zoom and it weighs practically nothing. It just doesn't have the wide aperture or the durability. Check out the MTF chart on the Nikon site.

Many Nikon wielding professionals have an entry-level body and kit lens for those occasions when a "professional" camera is too big, too heavy or just too ostentatious.

I don't know the Canon 750D but can heartily recommend an entry-level Nikon and especially the VRII version of the 18-55mm.
SteveCharles 14 2.3k 18 England
19 Jul 2017 2:41PM
The kids are into film these days. She might be happier with an old slr, or Fuji Instax.
indemnity 8 334
19 Jul 2017 5:18PM
I would suggest a bridge camera with hot shoe, it's a complete package, no need to buy extra lenses there are good offerings from Panasonic and Fuji. If in the future your granddaughter decides to take a more serious approach, then look at dslr or 4/3 there will be newer more advanced models then. A bridge camera is excellent to travel with too, so will be handy if she moves to dslr in the future.
A great response. Thanks to everyone of you for your input. Unfortunately I live in Germany and my granddaughter is in the highlands region Scotland. I have checked out the various suggestions made and the likes and dislikes of various makes and models. I have decided that I shall get her the NIKON D3300 KIT makeup. In my unused lens stable I do have 24mm, 40mm and 50mm primes, that I rarely use. Although they are Canon lenses fittings for Nikon should not be a problem.
Thank you all very much for helping out.
Regards
Patrick Elsender.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.