Best Compact Digi Camera?

18 Feb 2008 9:09PM
Hi...

I'm a pro photographer but I'm after a good digi compact for holiday snapshots etc. The things important to me are:-

Good image quality (obviously!)
Compact enough to keep comfortably in pocket
Good video capability (with zoom capable during videos if poss)
Image stabiliser

I'm not so concerned about price, I'm looking for something that will tick all the boxes and prepared to pay for it.

I have been tempted so far with :-

Ricoh R7
Pentax Optio A30
Lumix FX100

Read some good reviews for these...then seen other reviews telling me the opposite! I'm a Canon man but haven't found any well recommended yet at this level?

Any recommendations much appreciated.....

Thanks
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
18 Feb 2008 9:16PM
18 Feb 2008 9:31PM
First time I've seen that, thanks......

But...I have to order it this week so I need something that's out now.....
leeroe 19 231 England
18 Feb 2008 9:41PM
Canon G9 ??!! fits the brief if a little on the chunky side. I am NEVER without mine these days, the 40d comes on big jobs the G9 is always with me. Awesome image quality and good zoom , 6x, and IS is very good !!

All IMHO of course.

Lee
18 Feb 2008 9:49PM
Agree that G9 seems to tick all the boxes... always have mine along too..
(and you can stay a 'Canon' user..!!)
Wink
Kevin.
18 Feb 2008 9:54PM
G9 looks great but I'm really after something more compact I can slot into my pocket and not notice.......

..and yeah, i would prefer to stick to Canon but some of the Ixus models fall short in previous reviews....
Little Jo 20 2.3k United Kingdom
18 Feb 2008 10:02PM
The G9 is pretty small - anything smaller and you'd need pixie fingers to use it.

The little black baby is capable of some super photos and you can even use a Canon EX speedlite with it. Nothing else comes close.

Jo
Paul Morgan 20 19.5k 6 England
19 Feb 2008 1:35AM
I`d second the DP1, don`t think its out until april though.

Quote:you can even use a Canon EX speedlite with it

Have you tried it, I use a pro one and sometimes attach an EX unit, its good but a little top heavy Smile
b6waf 15 6 United Kingdom
19 Feb 2008 8:20AM
I'm a keen amateur with a Canon DSLR, and I too wanted a portable, slip-in-pocket compact. I bought the Ricoh R4 and was so impressed with it that I upgraded to the R6 when it came out. Image quality is excellent, zoom range is fantastic and I really couldn't recommend it highly enough. Video seems OK but I hardly use it - don't know if it zooms or not. Ricoh are seriously under-rated in my opinion. The only thing I don't like is the lack of a viewfinder, but that's the price you pay for minaturisation. The great thing is that you take a shot, look at it on the screen and decide it's average, get home and view it on the PC and it's invariably excellent ! This is a great camera for the money.

If you want Canon, I bought my daughter the 900Ti for a holiday to Australia and she produced (to my amazement) some absolutely stunning shots.
wasper 15 533 1 Ireland
19 Feb 2008 8:50AM
Does anyone know how much Sigma will be charging for this DP1?
MeanGreeny 16 3.7k England
19 Feb 2008 9:07AM

Quote:Does anyone know how much Sigma will be charging for this DP1?

550 body only

600 with optical viewfinder

Optical viewfinder bought separately 85

Those are the opening prices. How they hold will depend on how well such a novel product sells.

ePz News Item
kit-monster 18 3.7k 2 Singapore
19 Feb 2008 9:08AM
wasper 15 533 1 Ireland
19 Feb 2008 9:16AM
Very steep & I wanted to buy it for the wife. But she will would rather buy another pair of boots instead, then fork roughly 700 euros.
kit-monster 18 3.7k 2 Singapore
19 Feb 2008 9:26AM
I've had a lumix for a while now and bought it before the G9 came out . . . I'm a canon man but at the time canon dropped raw from their non dslr cameras. As it happens, I hardly ever use raw. It's very slow to save raw images and the image quality is rarely good enough to warrant the additional work. I do like the 28mm equivalent - it feels surprisingly wide on a compact.
paul_bennett 14 210
19 Feb 2008 10:08AM

Quote:QuoteGrinoes anyone know how much Sigma will be charging for this DP1?550 body only

600 with optical viewfinder

Optical viewfinder bought separately 85

Those are the opening prices. How they hold will depend on how well such a novel product sells.

ePz News Item

Still that is a bloody lot for a point and shoot...G9 it is me thinks

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.