Best Compact Digi Camera?

MeanGreeny 16 3.7k England
19 Feb 2008 10:20AM

Quote:Still that is a bloody lot for a point and shoot...G9 it is me thinks

You're right, it would be a lot for a point and shoot but it's a fair bit more than that.

It's a 'large compact' with an APS-C sized sensor [from the SD14 SLR] - a very different beast to your average Casio or G9
ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
19 Feb 2008 10:25AM
I think a G9 would create an unconfortable bulge in the OP's trousers...
kit-monster 18 3.7k 2 Singapore
19 Feb 2008 10:34AM
What's the big deal about the sigma APS-C sensor? I know the theory about sensor size and noise, but if it actually fails to deliver then what's the point? The SD14 noise in jpeg mode was pretty shocking and from what I've seen and read of the G9 it's pretty amazing. I'd be interested in seeing a like for like comparison of noise from the g9 and sigma. If the sensor size is the big selling point - lets see if it delivers.
19 Feb 2008 11:07AM
Thanks for the input everyone but I just took the plunge and ordered the Ricoh R7. Got a great deal at www.fotosense.co.uk..... for 189 the bundle includes...

Rocoh R7 Black
Genuine Ricoh Leather Case
Spare battery
1gb Sandisk Ultra II card
Mini Tripod
Camera cleaning kit

Next Day Delivery is only a fiver on top.

The G9 was tempting but would still be a bit bulky to put in my pocket for nights out, holidays etc. The quality of the Ricoh seems acceptable enough for what I am after....basic snapshots and short videos.

I'll come back on and give my feedback as to what it is like.....

Cheers!
NikLG 16 1.7k England
19 Feb 2008 11:35AM
Ah..if only you had waited a day or two...

I have a r5, but might move up to this R8 when I get the chance...
19 Feb 2008 11:41AM

Quote:Ah..if only you had waited a day or two...

I have a r5, but might move up to this R8 when I get the chance...

Arrggghhhh!!!!!!!! Disaster! I should have checked before ordering this one but thought it would be a while before the R8 came out! Great timing!!!! :-(

Suppose, at the end of the day, it is still a fantastic buy for that money. You really get incredible value for money in general with compact digitals when you think if the technology involved. I'll still have a smile on my face when the R7 arrives tomorrow!
NikLG 16 1.7k England
19 Feb 2008 12:00PM
Well it's not till next month anyway, and it's apparently going to 250 notes....
MeanGreeny 16 3.7k England
19 Feb 2008 12:22PM

Quote:The SD14 noise in jpeg mode was pretty shocking

Forget JPEG I'm interested in the RAW output

Quote:and from what I've seen and read of the G9 it's pretty amazing.

From what I can see the G9 has ticked all the 'go faster gadget' boxes but is apparently quite an awkward camera to use. The ND filter looks nice though.......

Quote:I'd be interested in seeing a like for like comparison of noise from the g9 and sigma.

I've seen a recent comparison with the G9 & Ricoh GRD2 and the G9 came 2nd [OK the Ricoh has a prime lens but that doesn't affect the noise]
kit-monster 18 3.7k 2 Singapore
19 Feb 2008 1:18PM
I've been a strong supporter of raw format and haven't used anything else with dslrs for four years. A compact camera is a bit different. The three I've used have been painfully slow to save raw files to the card and buffer is so small that you can't stack them up. And if you're after holiday snapshots can you really be bothered to process the images when they're likely to be printed at 6x4 and shown round the family . . .
strawman 18 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
19 Feb 2008 3:04PM
an interesting point you make kit- monster
Quote:And if you're after holiday snapshots can you really be bothered to process the images when they're likely to be printed at 6x4 and shown round the family

I am off to Venice for a couple of days later with my long suffering wife (20 years married where did my life go Smile ) and I thought it a good excuse to get a compact, but when I think about it to be honest I would be upset if I had to sacrifice image quality. Plus I want my wide angle

So its back to 40D plus 10-20, 17-40, and the low cost/weight 55-200. (dare I sneak in a tripod?)

And yes 95% will be 6x4 images, but I hope a couple are better. Smile
Carabosse 18 41.8k 270 England
19 Feb 2008 3:12PM

Quote:Thanks for the input everyone but I just took the plunge and ordered the Ricoh R7.

Excellent - at least you've made a decision! Look forward to your feedback. Smile
ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
19 Feb 2008 3:34PM

Quote:So its back to 40D plus 10-20, 17-40, and the low cost/weight 55-200

that's a lot for a holiday isn't it?

I just take the 24-105 and my 5D, does everything you need except ultra close up architecture shots.

compact to me is different again - I want to be able to go clubbing with a camera in my pocket and not have it in my way at all, and get 1/2 decent shots.
Carabosse 18 41.8k 270 England
19 Feb 2008 3:45PM
I'd only take the DSLR kit if I was taking the car as well. For holidays, without the car, I would take my Canon S5 IS (lens 36-432mm FF equiv) which has the advantage of pretty reasonable video too.

Can't be bothered lugging around the heavy stuff on hols!

For social occasions the camera phone will suffice. Wink
strawman 18 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
19 Feb 2008 3:57PM
I normaly take the lot on holiday, but then I go by car most times. And its not a lot to cary,

I have flown to Rome and Prague with that lot. For a couple of days break I take a split rucksack half camera gear, half rest, and my wife takes a rucksack with the rest. I mean photography is the 1st priority Smile

I miss the 10-20 when in amongst all those lovely buildings, and well the 17-40 is my walk around, and the 55 to 200 weighs nothing... I might pick up a 2nd hand 28-135 IS and drop the 17-40 and 55-200.

Just travel light for the rest Smile
Paul Morgan 20 19.5k 6 England
19 Feb 2008 4:43PM

Quote:Still that is a bloody lot for a point and shoot

Thats the sugested guide price, it will drop Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.