Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Best Day to Submit Entries

User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
28 May 2010 7:47PM
An acquaintance who seems to know about such things has suggested that the best days for submitting entries to competitions (especially those run by magazines) are Tuesday and Wednesday.

Basically, his thinking is that it is a waste of time submitting on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays as most entries are submitted at the weekend and Monday is taken up by skimming, very superficially, through the pile. So entries in that pile do not get properly looked at.

By Thursday the editor's assistant is too tired to do justice to any submissions and by Friday she is painting her nails for the weekend.

Which leaves Tuesday and Wednesday.

Any views on this eminently believable theory?

Sad
TeresaH 16 1.1k United Kingdom
28 May 2010 8:34PM
I can't answer this right now, because it's Friday night and I'm busy doing other "things" Wink
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
28 May 2010 9:27PM
In the days of old when I was employed in the editing and production of newspapers and magazines any time after Thursday evening would be a waste of time because we were all p****d until Monday morning!

Jester.
Toonman 14 1.4k 2 England
29 May 2010 7:24AM

Quote:we were all p****d until Monday morning!

Jester! and there's me thinking all 'hacks' were 'T total'

cheers2-dark.jpg
30 May 2010 10:28AM
This is so funny! i am rememberig i was in Romania some years ago, i asked an employee on the railways station about the next train and she was painting her nails too like the editor's assistant...because of the false info i was waiting two hours more there Grin
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
30 May 2010 10:36AM

Quote:An acquaintance who seems to know about such things has suggested that the best days for submitting entries to competitions (especially those run by magazines) are Tuesday and Wednesday.

I can confirm that that's not the process we used when I was on Practical Photography and Digital Photo, or more recently when judging competitions on our mail entries...not that we get many these days. It's all by email/web.

All entries are either spotted as competition entries from the mailing address as they come in...and are placed in a filing cabinet/box/sack (depending on qty coming in). The entries that haven't been marked correctly will be opened by the editorial assistant, who may be drunk, bored, distracted, fed up or whatever. That person will see from opening that it's a competition entry and close the envelop and place it with the others. Then, at deadline point, the entries will all be opened and judged and shortlist picked. Then a final decision is made on the winners.

I can't guarantee that's the way other companies work though.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.