50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Best e reader?

13 Dec 2020 6:47PM
kindle or
SlowSong Plus
12 9.6k 30 England
13 Dec 2020 6:55PM
I've only had a Kindle so can't really comment. Tbh, i didn't realise there were others.
saltireblue Plus
10 11.8k 75 Norway
13 Dec 2020 7:06PM
I use the Kindle app on my iPad mini...wife has a Kindle...never tried anything else...
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
13 Dec 2020 7:35PM
I've got a Kindle Paperwhite and an old Kobo.
I was quite happy with the Kobo, albeit very basic, until my daughter bought me the Kindle last Christmas.
I'm not aware of a third alternative.
13 Dec 2020 7:56PM
I also use a kindle fire, as a prolific reader, I also use kindle app on phone which are sinc'd so if im waiting around any where I can read, have prime so can borrow books as well plus music and unlimited photo storage which can be accessed any device when logged in. You can put app on any android device so you don't need a fire tablet, however look out at Christmas you can pick up a fire hd for under 50 quid played 39 for my wifes. I have also got the 10inch version for putting my sd card from camera and viewing my photos. I read 4 or 5 books a month so I wouldn't be without it, front screen will show recommendations which I find very handy as it informs me of any new books from author or genre that I'm into but you can by ad free version. I usualy buy trilogys/box sets for 99 pence. Certainly worth looking into. Also got football on prime. If your tempted use link on this site and help ephotozine.

Gra
Amazon if your watching throw me some freebies for that post.
bricurtis Plus
15 2.4k 51 England
13 Dec 2020 8:02PM
I use Kindle Paperwhite, I have a couple of friends who don't. 1 uses Nook the other uses a Sony.
They seem happy with them !
Dave_Canon 14 2.0k United Kingdom
13 Dec 2020 10:38PM
I used one of the earlier Kindles for many years and now use the Kindle paperwhite. I find it much easier and more comfortable than reading a book. My wife hates the idea of a Kindle but from time to time she can only get a Kindle version of a book and has to use my old Kindle which still works fine. There are often special offers for Kindle books so many of my purchases this year were 99p. My daughter usually buys me an Amazon voucher for Xmas so I splash out and buy a few of the other books on my wish list that are not going to be offered for 99p. I have over 250 books available on my Kindle now though I have read 90% of them.

Dave
sherlob Plus
15 3.2k 130 United Kingdom
13 Dec 2020 11:13PM
What are you reading (fiction or non-fiction) and will you want to do anything other than read books with the device? The first question is relevant if the text has any complex illustrations or pictures (e.g. photos). Kindle paper white etc won't be suitable as their ability to display graphics of any kind is very limited. If this is what you are reading then go for a tablet with Kindle or similar app installed (Kindle Fire, iPad, etc). Dedicated e-readers are fab for reading test but offer limited additional functionality (hence dedicated). If you want to also be to surf the feb etc then this isn't the device for you.

Personally, I have and utterly love my kindle paper white. I use this for reading texts only - although I occasionally feel frustrated when I come across an illustrated text (e.g. a photographic book) that I want to read. However, I also own an iPad that I can use for such texts - albeit I find this uncomfortable to use for reading for long periods (eg. it weighs too much to hand hold for protracted periods, I can't slip it into the back pocket of my jeans, the battery life is limited, the screen is a nightmare in bright conditions, I don't have 4G on the iPad and therefore I often need a wifi connection to download the book I'm half way through reading). The benefits of the paper white are substantial: its size, weight and hand feel, the screen and the battery life for instance - basically it addresses all the problems of the iPad. I have used the kindle for years now and find it does what it does brilliantly.

One last note. I dearly love paper books also, but the advantages of a kindle are just so numerous as to make paper a second choice for anything other than a special treat - OR - when amazon become greedy. E.g. the reduced publishing overheads associated with eReader texts was pitched as an advantage meaning savings for the buyer. In recent years I think amazon have seen the advantages of a kindle to be "worth" a premium, and I see quite commonly note that the Kindle education of a book costs a couple of quid more than the hardback (soft backs not being available often for a few months after release).

Whatever you get - enjoy! Reading is such a pleasure and a gift.
13 Dec 2020 11:22PM
thanks for replies not a reader myself kindle will be christmas present for my sister

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.