Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Enter ePHOTOzine's Prize Draw, with fab gifts for everyone! Click Here

Best filters for landscapes

JanieB43 8 47 6 England
24 May 2009 8:55AM
I have the cokin P series and have a 4 and 8 ND filter, a NGrad, together with a polarizing filter. I love landscape/seascape photography and after seeing the standard of such photographs on this site I would really like to improve my shots. Can anyone advise me as to which other coloured/graduated filters are a good investment. I know you can add filter effects with photoshop but I don't think you can beat the "real thing".
Thanks
Jane

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw 11 13.4k 28 Wales
24 May 2009 9:19AM
Colored filters, forget it.
Just shoot RAW, and adjust accordingly.
sherlob Plus
10 2.8k 126 United Kingdom
24 May 2009 9:48AM
Not sure I agree Cole. I have, and occasionally use (albeit very occasionally) , a sunset orange grad and a blue grad. Having these in the field can sometimes help me visualise what I'm after.

Adam
JJGEE 11 6.8k 18 England
24 May 2009 10:14AM
I have a couple of graduated filters which I use for landscape type shots, part ND and part coloured.

0.6 ND / 81A
0.3 ND / 81B

The 81A & 81B just warm up land / buildings leaving the ND to reduce the EV value difference for what is usually a brighter sky.

Obviously, like all grads, one needs a fairly straight horizon.
LenShepherd 8 3.1k United Kingdom
25 May 2009 7:35PM

Quote:The 81A & 81B just warm up land / buildings

They do if you are shooting slide film for projection, or take a manual white balance setting before adding the filter.
However using digital AWB or sending to a lab for prints (when the printing machine AWB takes over) produces "correct" colour, removing most or all the 1A or 1B effect.
Kris_Dutson 14 8.2k 1 England
25 May 2009 8:39PM
I reckon you've already got what you need.

After a quick look at your portfolio I'd say you've got the basics well sorted so it's just a case of practise, practise and more practise. Wink
NEWMANP Plus
8 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
26 May 2009 11:56AM
you will probably get away most of the time with a 121s soft edge 3 stop filter for seascapes where the water is quite reflective. with sunrises over dark rocks in the hills you may well need 5 stops of Nd grad, but as for colours and similar i wouldnt buy them just to be sat in the bag.
Phil

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.