Best lens for Sony...Sigma, Tamron or Sony?

alexshairp 12 7 Scotland
15 Aug 2008 2:39PM
I need a lens with a focal range of about 70-200/300mm.
Sigma, Tamron and Sony all have lenses that fit my criteria, all around the same price but I am split over which company would produce the best results. I am a little strapped for cash atm, so the investment can wait for the time being--at least until i know what to go for...

Anyone have any knowledge or opinions?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

RipleyExile 17 1.6k 17 England
15 Aug 2008 2:45PM
If you can get hold of someone selling a Minolta 70 - 210 f4 (old metal style) at a good price then bite their hand off! I picked one up secondhand a few years ago to put on my KM 5D for 69 not long after KM pulled out of the camera market and it's the best lens I've bought. Sharp as anything and good colours but can hunt a bit when trying to auto focus in low light.
15 Aug 2008 2:56PM
Oh, and if you're looking at the Sigma 70-300 macro super DG, make sure you get the APO version and not the DL. There's a reason there's a price difference. Smile
franken Plus
17 5.1k 4 United Kingdom
15 Aug 2008 3:32PM
I've got the Sigma 70-300 APO, a superb lens for the price. There's a review under lenses in the EPZ reviews if interested..

Ken
15 Aug 2008 3:47PM
It is.

Don't know if it's common but mine has had one of the internal gears go twice. First was under warranty, but the second time cost me about 70. The macro lock switch isn't what it used to be either, but then it is a budget lens.
alexshairp 12 7 Scotland
15 Aug 2008 5:02PM
See, I was just all set to go for the Sigma, Amazon have it for 124 ...but with the risk of defect I think the Sony could be better-it's not perfect: I would like to have a focus distance scale but I could do without.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.