Exclusive Offer - 20% Off Mitsubishi CP-M15E Printer Bundle!

Best method to retain sharpness at 500px

digicammad 17 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
19 Nov 2003 9:38AM
First, apologies for yet another thread on quality at 500px, but I would like to know what technique people have found best for resizing to 500px without losing sharpness (as happened with this image.

I currently work on images at full size, then apply a little unsharp mask and then use 'save for web' and resize them there. This is turning out to be more than a little hit and miss, so I wondered if I would be better reducing the size in Photoshop before working on the images. The trouble is, I want a full size version of the finished image in case I want to print it or publish to my site.

I suppose I could do all the work, save a snapshot and then resize/rework. Does Photoshop throw away snapshots when you save an image?

I think that's enough questions for now.

Ian
railton 18 304
19 Nov 2003 10:03AM
You should re sharpen Ian after sizing, if you want your images sharp this should be the last thing you do before saving to jpg.
Miles Herbert 18 1.9k 4 United Kingdom
19 Nov 2003 10:28AM
I agree with John. Normally I will take the full size image, sharpen it as neccessary, then resize it to say 1024 pixels across. Once it is this size I will do what ever manipulation I want to do before resizing it again to 500 pixels. Lastly a little bit of unsharp mask just to get it sharp again, then save for web.
ken j. 17 374
19 Nov 2003 10:30AM
Why not save your finished image in its original format then do a 'save as' to create a new jpeg image at the 500px limit and rename it.
Then perform your sharpening etc.
This is the one you then upload - your original is preserved for printing.
19 Nov 2003 10:40AM
Thanks for the tips. I suppose doing a 'save as' to jpeg would be best and then I could just overwrite the jpeg with the final image saved for web and optimised to 50k. I suppose if I look hard enough PS7 probably allows me to resize to 50k outside the save for web function, so I can check the sharpness at the final file size.

So much to learn. I think I must be getting more critical of my images, as it is only recently I have noticed a drop off in quality. Either that or my originals are getting better. :0)

Ian
peterkent 18 117
19 Nov 2003 6:13PM
Ian - The 'save for web' function will give you the most relevant jpeg file info for your 50k. Resizing to 50k outside the 'save for web' function will include more irrelevant jpeg info and thus require more compression of the image itself.
19 Nov 2003 6:33PM
Thanks Peter

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.