Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Best mirrorless camera or any other ideas?

trivets12 17 1.3k
19 Dec 2017 8:28PM
Having lugged my two 6dís around in New York and the Caribbean recently, I am seriously looking into a smaller camera for holidays.
Any thoughts on whether I should go mirrorless or top range compact, please? The thing is, I would really miss the image quality from a dslr so would like to get the best available, if poss?
Advice gratefully appreciated!
Thanks,
Trudy
Paul Morgan 20 19.5k 6 England
19 Dec 2017 8:50PM
For holidays and stuff like that I just get a compact, some have 1" to APS-C sensors, you will not be missing out on a lot of quality but obviously each and ever camera will come with some compromise somewhere.

If your not in need of a zoom lens I`d go with a Fuji x100 and it could also be used as back up for your weddings ( its an old blog post and the later x100`s are better and more popular than ever)

trivets12 17 1.3k
19 Dec 2017 9:14PM
Thanks for your reply. The Fuji range does receive very good reviews and I have looked at that.
Merry Christmas!
Trudy
JackAllTog Plus
12 6.3k 58 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2017 10:20PM
I'd assume that an ILC with a pro grade fixed lens would always out perform the quality even a 5x compact - unless you needed to zoom in /out.
19 Dec 2017 10:44PM
Pentax Ks1 is fairly compact add a prime or a small kit lens , good image quality at a good price.Unbiaed review in Amatuer Photography.

Regards
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2017 10:54PM
Trudy, a lot depends on what you want to shoot in the future.

Whilst I was suffering a serious muscle wasting problem I had to sell all my ILCs (canon and Olympus) and worked with a Panasonic fz1000 and got some pretty good results from it. A friend was so impressed he sold all his Panasonic m4/3rds and got himself one instead, he is now winning prizes at club level and in higher level competitions with his incredible results.

Me, I've got better and gone back to using the Olympus EM-1 mk2 for sports, action, birding and long range bugs bees and butterflies (but he still beats me in competitions Smile )

there's also a cost / benefit debate to be had, what I use has probably cost at least as much as a mid-range DSLR set-up, but it meets my needs.

The new Sony RX10 mk4 is getting good reviews, but it is costly
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
20 Dec 2017 6:25AM
I wouldn't recommend a particular camera, but as Brian did, I used a Panasonic FZ1000 for over 2 years, and my recommendation would be to get the camera with the biggest sensor that still manages to keep the size and weight down. I used M4/3 for 2 and a half years, did tonnes of wildlife and nature, and really enjoyed it, my best photography by far, because I got out and used it so much. I left M4/3 because neither manufacturer had what I considered a decent long lens. They have a couple now, but if I'm going to spend over $5000, I'm not going to go M4/3. That's me, you will have to have a look at it. I'll suggest if you're leaning toward Olympus or Panasonic to go on youtube and look at David Thorpe's reviews, they're about the best you will find, and there are over 300 of them. He has reviewed just about everything M4/3. You're going to take quite a big hit going from the 6D, and the top lenses aren't as small and light as you might think. I just researched the Canon M5, and it's an interesting little camera, and you would be able to use whatever Canon lenses you want to keep, and the M series has some pretty good lenses, but probably not what you're used to shooting. Good glass is heavy, and it doesn't seem to matter which format you use. As Brian said, the Sony RX10 MK IV might interest you, but again, you've been using high end, and it's basically a bridge camera. David's videos might help you make a decision. Good Luck.
20 Dec 2017 7:31AM
RX10 mk4 is the way forward.
I have the RX10 mk3 and it is a cracking camera once you get used to its functions. When using my 6d I often miss things that my sony RX10 has such as image viewing in the viewfinder or the ability to lift tilt the screen

take one for a test drive or borrow mine for a day

SteveSmile
RoyChilds 13 115 England
20 Dec 2017 8:41AM
Can recommend Panasonics over Olympus they are much more user friendly i.e. The menu system is so much more intuitive on the Panasonic I had the Olympus EM 1 Mk 2 and returned it. Bought a Panasonic G80 instead and have ordered the G9,picture quality wise there's nothing between the brands. The best thing about Olympus are the lens bought the Olympus 12 100 f4 and its superb,there are plenty of very good lenses to choose from. I shoot for a stock library and have no problem with image quality.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.7k 30 England
20 Dec 2017 8:44AM
Panasonic all the way. So intuitive and easy to use. A large range of lenses too.
I've tried Olympus (tricky) and Fuji (just didn't like them). Panasonic seems to be well down the list when you read about M43 but I think that's a snob thing. They're terrific cameras and lenses.

brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
20 Dec 2017 9:08AM

Quote:Panasonic seems to be well down the list when you read about M43 but I think that's a snob thing

Panasonic and Olympus both make excellent cameras but may I humbly suggest that which is "Best" is down to the user (I have both makes)

For me, the EM-1 mk2 has the better ergonomics, is easier to handle, the buttons have a more positive feel (I can't use my G80 with gloves on but I can with the EM-1 mk2)

The PDAF sensor gives me much better success rates for my water sports and birding than the G80 etc (I'm looking forward to trying the G9 when it comes out as that looks like it maybe be a close match to the performance of my mk2 )

My bottom line is, I don't try to tell people that one system is better than another but encourage them to try them out for themselves (hire / loan, Olympus Test & Wow prog etc) rather than rely on the advice of anyone else as we all have our own biases Smile
Philh04 Plus
15 2.3k United Kingdom
20 Dec 2017 11:53AM
Less weight... why not just take one 6D that is half the weight Tongue

If you really are after mirrorless I guess you could look at the Canon M series with an adaptor you can use your existing lenses plus you are familiar with the marque and the sensor traits.
Carrera_c 11 273 3 United Kingdom
20 Dec 2017 1:25PM

Quote:If you really are after mirrorless I guess you could look at the Canon M series with an adaptor you can use your existing lenses plus you are familiar with the marque and the sensor traits.

Problem with using your existing lenses is that you're instantly loosing the size and weight saving advantages of a mirrorless system as a lot of the time the lens will be at least 2/3 of the total size and weight.

I looked into a lot of mirrorless options earlier on this year, trying to find the best balance of image quality and portability.
I loved the images that the sony mirrorless cameras could give you with that massive full frame sensor but as soon as you started putting half-decent glass on it was just another massive camera.
The M43 offerings are nice and compact with lenses that compliment the size of the bodies, the image quality still feels a bit low for me when you look at the price tag you're paying.
So I ended up settling on Fuji, with the XT2. APS-C sensor gives a really nice image and handles high noise very well. Lenses are quite compact and you can easily have a small bag with the camera and 3 lenses without feeling the weight. For me, Fuji has the best balance for what I was looking for and should be considered by any travel 'tog.
Philh04 Plus
15 2.3k United Kingdom
20 Dec 2017 1:35PM

Quote:Problem with using your existing lenses is that you're instantly loosing the size and weight saving advantages of a mirrorless system as a lot of the time the lens will be at least 2/3 of the total size and weight.

Merely a suggestion based on the fact that the OP is an existing Canon user, of course they could also use Canon lenses designed for the M series and not an adaptor.

Personally I would just take one 6D body instead of two Wink
Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
20 Dec 2017 1:40PM
DPR said: Some of the best image quality in any compact camera, ever, Impressively sharp 24-70mm equiv lens remains usefully bright throughout zoom range, Impressive image stabilization for stills, Well implemented Eye AF system tracks subjects well

Slip one in your pocket

Expensive? Well it is Christmas!

That would be my choice, the lens, the sensor, the image quality and the size.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.