ADVERTISEMENT
Save & earn with MPB; trade-in and buy pre-loved

Best phone network

25 May 2018 7:39PM
thinking of getting sim free phone which network should i go for
Mike_Smith Plus
15 982 2 United Kingdom
25 May 2018 7:58PM
I di exactly that too, I went on Vodaphone no problems at all. 1000 minutes, 2 gig of data, unlimited texts £9.50 a month
Carabosse Plus
19 43.1k 270 England
25 May 2018 8:54PM
Because I have my broadband with BT I get also get, for the mobile, unlimited minutes (to UK landlines/mobiles), unlimited texts and half a gig of data.

£5 a month. I think it's £10 if you don't have BT broadband.
25 May 2018 9:46PM
You may be surprised to know that the BT mobile does not have such good coverage as Vodafone. You can check the coverage in your area by a search on Google. Vodafone is the only mobile that works in this area.
Chris_L 9 5.5k United Kingdom
26 May 2018 12:00AM
I think there are only 3 actual networks? Vodafone, 02 and EE (I might be wrong about this so please check) then Tesco, Three, Giff Gaff, Virgin and others piggyback on to one of the big three.

It will pay you to see who runs your nearest phone mast. The one nearest me is a Vodafone 4G mast and I get a fantastic signal indoors and out. Friends are not so lucky. One network can't even be picked up til you leave our estate.

It goes without saying that you need good coverage at home and at work. The coverage maps are fairly accurate but take notice of what kind of signal friends and neighbours get from different networks.

tonyguitar 10 77 37 Canada
26 May 2018 12:23AM
Virgin has treated me best with no surprises. Thanks Bransen.
P.S. I live in B.C. Canada. Hope Richard treats you well also. TG
User_Removed 12 240 United Kingdom
26 May 2018 9:42AM
Perhaps when Sir Richard Branson goes into space as published recently he will shove a few new satellites out the door of the space module improving reception? Tongue
altitude50 18 23.1k United Kingdom
26 May 2018 11:15AM
Let's hope that Branson doesn't get in a pickle! GrinGrinGrin
26 May 2018 11:16AM

Quote:I think there are only 3 actual networks? Vodafone, 02 and EE (I might be wrong about this so please check) then Tesco, Three, Giff Gaff, Virgin and others piggyback on to one of the big three.

There's actually four major networks, Three being a major network and doesn't use anyone else's network.
Chris_L 9 5.5k United Kingdom
26 May 2018 6:04PM
The big four must have evolved from Cellnet, Vodafone, Orange and T-Mobile (or was it O2?) It seems that Vodafone are the only original UK cellular network to have not changed their name?

26 May 2018 6:51PM
Best not to deal directclty with any of the main providers. A sub-contractor like Vergin buys in volume and has savings clout they pass along to us. You get steady low rates for as much as two years at a time. Main providers, on the other hand, pop you wiith rate hikes much more often. TG
26 May 2018 6:52PM
I thought that looked funny.....Virgin. Sorry Richard....auto-pilot. TG
steve_p 17 1.2k England
26 May 2018 8:11PM
Amongst my friends and with my previous experience O2 seems to have the best coverage. I do find since being with orange ,then EE/BT the coverage is not as good.
26 May 2018 9:52PM

Quote:The big four must have evolved from Cellnet, Vodafone, Orange and T-Mobile (or was it O2?) It seems that Vodafone are the only original UK cellular network to have not changed their name?

Cellnet eventually became O2, Vodaphone started out as Racal, a subsidiary of Racal electronics, a company manufacturing military radio technologies, Orange and T Mobile merged to become EE,

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.