Best place to buy?

tricky66 15 24 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2006 12:35PM
In the minefield of suppliers and retailers out there, is there a best place to buy from? Obviously considering price and after sales support etc there are going to be good and bad retailers, could do with some feedback and possible pointers?
I am looking at upgrading from my D70 to the D200 with the addition of a SB800 and battery grip.

Thanks

Rich
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
2 Dec 2006 1:12PM
For me - with everything taken into account - you have to go some to better Warehouse Express. This link takes you in via the ePHOTOzine link which means that EPZ gets a little something too.
dougv 17 8.4k 3 England
2 Dec 2006 1:20PM
Another vote for ePHOTOzine Shop/Warehouse Express.
Never had anything but good service from them.

There may be cheaper places (not by much), but I tend to stick to the places I know I get good service.

Doug ;o)
cameracat 18 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
2 Dec 2006 1:20PM
Agree with Mike, Warehouse Express is always my first port of call, After many dealings with them I would go so far as to say They are second to none in all areas price/product range/customer service/delivery etc.

Vince
Tooth 16 5.8k 227 Ireland
2 Dec 2006 1:38PM
Another vote for warehouse express, though I must admit I haven't hardly used any of thre others (but that's because WHE are so good). What I really like about them is that while you can do all your business on your PC, there's always a friendly helpful real person on the end of the phone line if you need them

Stephen
steve_p 16 1.2k England
2 Dec 2006 1:47PM
I have bought some stuff recently from Bristol Cameras, I did have one problem- not their fault it was soon put right.
Other than that good service and quick delivery.

One advantage with them they send stuff via Royal mail not a courier service. If i am not at home when they try to deliver it is easy for me to collect from the local sorting office.

Steve
bmx_bandit 15 56
2 Dec 2006 2:00PM
I have just done exactley what you are about to do.
I went to Jessops and haggled, got the D200 body for 850 and a Sigma 10-20mm lens for 318.00. And with 12 months interest free.
tricky66 15 24 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2006 3:53PM
Cheers everyone, helpful to know and interesting point from BMX Bandit about the haggling, which I guess is something that is not on an option on-line.

Thanks again.

Rich
culturedcanvas 16 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2006 3:59PM
OK - out of interest what are the MOST important factors for you guys when making a buying decision? How much do you value advice from the company about the kit etc, price, delivery (speed) ...

Dan
cameracat 18 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
2 Dec 2006 4:46PM
Good point Dan, With regards to big buys like camera body's & lens, I am usually 95% sure of what I want to start with, I then do as much research on the item as I
feel is required or until I am 100%, reveiws & articles etc, By the time of purchase I am not really up for any alternatve suggestions, On smaller items I might consider the sellers advise or options IF they seem favourable or are offering a better alternative, Not based on price.

I tend to work on the principle that If I screw up, Well that's another lesson learned, It also removes the possiblity that outside advise is biased for some promotional reason.

I also never go for the cheap option, that can ( has in the dim distant past ) always lead to hassle.

Vince
2 Dec 2006 5:44PM
The reason I ask is that I am considering setting up as an online seller of photographic items, including cameras and it is interesting to hear the views of buyers. Obviously the big boys offer a lot of value for money and speedy delivery, so its good to look at other areas in which added value can be achieved.

Dan
steve_p 16 1.2k England
2 Dec 2006 5:55PM
When I bought my EOS 30d, I went to my local Jessops and took the Warehouse Express advert showing 70 cheaper, and the price was immediately matched, plus I had 12 months interest free. Warehouse Express do the same finance deal(they use the same finance company) but it was nice to take the camera away with me. I can also take it back to the shop if a problem should arise, rather than having to send it away myself.

I would agree with Vince about the cheap option you get what you pay for in the long run. No such thing as a free(or cheap) lunch thats value for money.

steve
keith selmes 18 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2006 5:56PM
I check their feedback, postal charges, and whether they take paypal.
If I was going to buy new kit from a regular dealer it would be something I couldn't easily find on ebay - probably good quality, and not mainstream. Price, service and delivery (method/charges) would be equally important.
It would be very hard to forecast what that item might be.
I'd find it via google.
JJGEE 16 8.0k 18 England
2 Dec 2006 5:57PM

Quote:The reason I ask is that I am considering setting up as an online seller of photographic items, including cameras

If at some point in the future I wanted to buy a camera I would want to see it, handle it and have someone to answer any questions I may have.

So - sorry Dave you would not be getting any online business from me.
2 Dec 2006 6:02PM
lol - you could always try Dan instead of Dave! Not sure who Dave is, or even if he sells photographic items but there you go!

Well as for wanting to handle it then there's always going to be customers who buy in that way. However warehouseexpress.com are now close to being as big as Jessops and are a maor force in the market place, so there's plenty of people buying kit online!

In addition I sell both furniture and artwork online already and despite the high price tags and a traditional marketplace people are still buying for speed of delivery and value for pound spent.

Interesting to hear your comments tho.

Keith - Im not talking about ebay, I refer to selling and advertising through the major photographic press selling new items.

Dan

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.