Best place to buy?

JJGEE 16 8.0k 18 England
2 Dec 2006 6:56PM

Quote:Lol - you could always try Dan instead of Dave!

Good question - who is Dave?

I do apologies.
Terry_R 16 20 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2006 9:31PM
Warehouse express is top notch for most things. 7dayshop.com is great for consumables (CDs, inks, paper etc). I use them both regularly and have never had a disappointment.
FeePhoto 15 34 Scotland
2 Dec 2006 9:58PM
Never had a problem with Warehouse Express either - fast service and I know what's coming and when it will arrive. Only downside is that I hate their website - it just seems so clunky and awkward but it's good for researching items.

I've also bought a few items from Ffordes of Inverness - great prices but communication is not their strong point - things have arrived by courier before the email confirmation of my order has arrived and that's usually a few days!!

7dayshop has also been excellent but we've been badly let down by FotoSense and Pixmania - "yes we'll sell it to you but no, we don't actually have it in stock and we don't know when we'll have it back in!", "yes we'll take your money for next day delivery but we won't post it until 3 days later and we don't see why that upsets you!".

I think I'm like most people, though, and go by recommendation of other users. Poor customer service and higher than average prices are the main reasons we'd avoid some retailers.
culturedcanvas 16 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2006 11:04PM
I have to agree about the website, very clunky and not great to use .. this is how it amazes me that they have grown so big so quickly.

Thats said they hold a lot of stock and their mail order and telemarketing operation is very slick - plus the staff are generally well trained.

Next day delivery is a big benefit too.

Dan
keith selmes 18 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2006 8:29AM

Quote:Keith - Im not talking about ebay

I know.
What I said effectively is, I prefer using ebay, where I can check feedback etc. and use paypal.
If you are selling in competition with ebay, you won't get my money.
But, if you have something I want that isn't on ebay, I will track you down across the internet and beg you to accept my credit card details.
culturedcanvas 16 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2006 8:34AM
lol

Paypal is a problem actually - as most buyers assume it gives them better protection .. when actually it doesn't. You get better protection paying a seller using your credit card providing that they are UK based. That is because of the way the legal system works on credit card cover. (Not the case with most Debit cards)

As Paypal is located in Ireland, and is owned by ebay they can bypass these safeguards that are already entrenched in UK law.

I choose not to pay by Paypal, and try to buy from sellers with merchant services facilities. I also only accept Paypal as a payment method from international buyers owing to the high charges and lack of protection afforded to both parties.

Dan
keith selmes 18 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2006 10:40AM
Paypal is quick and easy. Thats why I like it.
The feedback system reduces the probability of a problem, and the only ones I've had are with newbie sellers who didn't know how to get their money.
Buying first time from a website/mail order dealer is a shot in the dark, and involves a heap of typing. Or longwinded phone calls. The legal protection is an interesting point, but its only one factor in choosing a supplier.
So, I'm listening and taking on board, but not changing my buying habits.
I'm sorry that I can't say what line of goods I'd buy from an unknown web dealer.
This week its was wicks for oil lamps.
Last week I bought some hand made paper.
Next week is anyones guess.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.