ADVERTISEMENT
Shop Amazon's Best Sellers in Camera & Photo

Best program to edit my photos?

23 Jan 2023 12:10PM
hi everyone, I am new to photography and I'm not sure what is the best editing software to use but it is also beginner friendly
Carabosse Plus
19 43.1k 270 England
23 Jan 2023 12:34PM
Welcome to ePhotozine, Danielle.Smile

Many regard GIMP as the best (free) photo editing software. You might like to look at that.
bricurtis Plus
17 2.7k 53 England
23 Jan 2023 1:00PM
' Faststone Image Viewer ' might be a good starting point for you.
LenShepherd 14 4.6k United Kingdom
23 Jan 2023 1:28PM
If you use Nikon, Nikon have a free reasonably comprehensive editing software package called NX Studio.

I understand Canon offer something similar for Canon photographers.
mark2uk Plus
16 1.2k 8 England
23 Jan 2023 3:08PM
Canon offer DPP (Digital photo Professional) as a free editing package. its very good.
I started with Photoshop Elements which has plenty of learning resources - you should be able to pick an older copy (not 2023) fairly cheap.
Jestertheclown 14 8.7k 255 England
23 Jan 2023 6:11PM
Some good ideas above but really unless we know what you want to achieve, it's just guesswork.
Are you, for example, planning to shoot jpegs. or venture into the realms of raw?
The software that you require will differ.
24 Jan 2023 9:28AM
Much depends on how far you wish to explore the delights of post processing, how much you want to spend on software as well as the camera and computer gear you have. The computer is important - it's almost impossible to properly edit an image on a basic laptop that does not have an IPS screen.

As far as software goes then as others have said try the free software available from your camera manufacturer - all are powerful though nt necessarily intuitive. However, although I now use DxO Photolab 6 I still find a use for Adobe Photoshop Elements and if you want just one application that will grow with you then Photoshop Elements is the one to get.
Big Bri 21 16.7k United Kingdom
25 Jan 2023 9:19AM
The best photo editing software is without doubt Adobe Photoshop. There is simply nothing that comes close to it. However, it's not user friendly in any way at all. Smile

Photoshop Elements is made by the same people and a lot cheaper, and has various modes for beginners to walk you through some common tasks.

mrswoolybill Plus
16 3.7k 2575 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2023 11:00AM

Quote:The best photo editing software is without doubt Adobe Photoshop. There is simply nothing that comes close to it. However, it's not user friendly in any way at all. Smile

Photoshop Elements is made by the same people and a lot cheaper, and has various modes for beginners to walk you through some common tasks.

Seconded. Elements gives a wide range of possibilities, from simple fixes to much more sophisticated editing, and it's very user-friendly. But it does depend on what you want to achieve photographically.

Why not upload a picture to the site, ticking the critique wanted box. That will bring you to the attention of the Critique Team - we can help you along the way.
capto Plus
10 7.2k 33 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2023 6:35PM
The best is Adobe Photoshop, but expensive. There's are great selection among the cheap and free. I would suggest that you start with cheap or free and work your way up until you find a level that's right for you.
DaveRyder Plus
8 6.6k 18 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2023 8:31PM
Welcome to the mad house Danielle....

Quote: ' Faststone Image Viewer ' might be a good starting point for you.

I'll second that. A good free starer point
I use it as my general viewer but is has enough functionality to get you started.

Then PS Elements will give the next step once you're ready to part with some money.
It's got the extras, remove stuff, merge HDR, Panorama etc.

Pedeonic 5 62 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2023 10:25PM
Paint.net is FREE also as others have said Fast Stone Image Viewer also FREE.

Have a look at Affinity Photo 2.

£35.99

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.