Affinity Photo - professional photo editing with 50% off!

Best used digital camera for under £1,500, advice please?

LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
14 Mar 2019 3:20PM

Quote:

Looking around D810 can be had (even from WEX) for £1,225 with shutter count of 20,000, which I'm assuming is low? Not sure how many shutter blasts these modern cams can handle, my old Nikon F3 would need a new shutter after 20,000 shots.

I cannot confirm the test basis for the D810 but from memory it is over 150,000.
Some shutters last longer and some less than the test basis.

Quote:The 24-85 F3.5 Nikon lens only cost £480 new and they go for £280 second hand, not sure if this is a good lens but a dealer told me that this lens was better than the 24-120 which is twice the price.

You can check out Nikon's full aperture MTF for any current lens at imaging.nikon.com
While neither lens is first class wide open at 24mm the 24mm f2.8 you might have used in your film days is still listed - are definitely is not good in the corners at f2.8.
With the two lens only you can make the decision between greater zoom range or slightly higher image quality.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

peterjones 17 4.9k 1 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2019 4:31PM
Consider the Fuji XH1 £897 s/h from WEX and 16-55 f/2.8 £710 s/h also from WEX; the combination is admittedly £107 over your budget but you wouldn't be disappointed with the quality.
14 Mar 2019 6:55PM
Peter, Fuji no good for me, I prefer full-frame sensors for better depth-of-field, more 'wow' factor and image quality. If I could afford Pentax 645Z I'd be buying that. Pretty much decided on D810 for now.
peterjones 17 4.9k 1 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2019 7:36PM
Only a suggestion.
15 Mar 2019 9:07AM
I know, Peter, thank you.
15 Mar 2019 9:09AM
While I'm here a recommendation for a Manfrotto carbon tripod to suit D810 with three different lenses, 24-70, 70-210 and a 300mm. Won't be using anything larger than this so don't really want an industrial weight tripod, still want something that won't break my back to carry. I prefer ball and socket heads too, rather than levers. So can anybody recommend Manfrotto carbon model tripod and ball/socket head?
16 Mar 2019 8:39AM

Quote: Won't be using anything larger than this so don't really want an industrial weight tripod, still want something that won't break my back to carry.

Tripods have developed a lot since your F3 film days.
Carbon fibre has the dual advantages of being lighter and better at absorbing vibration - and the disadvantage for anybody on a budget of being more expensive,
My advice if buying new is forget the currently very much in fashion "compact tripods", where the legs fold through 180 degrees around the head to make the tripod shorter during transit.
The design usually limits choice if fully folded for transit to a very compact rather than a decent quality head, and they are widely reported as less stable weight for weight than conventional tripods.
16 Mar 2019 8:43AM
Makes sense. As long as it fits across the back seat of my car I don't care for the length.
Chris_L 5 5.2k United Kingdom
17 Mar 2019 12:38AM

Quote:The OP IS going second hand.

Thanks for correcting me Len. but I wasn't wrong, read his post: "I have £1,500 to spend on a digital camera with a 'normal' zoom (24 to 70 sort of thing). I don't mind second hand if that will get me something better."
altitude50 15 16.1k United Kingdom
17 Mar 2019 8:31AM

Quote:Sony perhaps, yuk.

The sensor in the D810 and in approx 80% of Nikon DSLR is/are made by Sony!Grin
17 Mar 2019 8:43AM

Quote:
Quote:Sony perhaps, yuk.

The sensor in the D810 and in approx 80% of Nikon DSLR is/are made by Sony!Grin

Off topic - and not 100% right. The sensor wafer is made by Sony. A lot happens to the wafer at later stages.
The shutters may be made by Copal, in the early days of EOS Olympus claimed to make most of Canon's ring-type USM motors.

The D810 can only be described as a Sony if it has a Sony lens mount, Sony handling etc etc.
altitude50 15 16.1k United Kingdom
17 Mar 2019 10:27AM
Not off topic.
I was only referring to the sensor. If you read my words, I never said that 80% of a Nikon was made by Sony or that the the Nikon D810 was a Sony!
Horses for courses, the OP seems to be very concerned about mirror vibration.
If he buys a Sony a7 or similar I guarantee that there will be no mirror vibration at all! GrinGrinGrin

17 Mar 2019 6:23PM

Quote:
Quote:The OP IS going second hand.

Thanks for correcting me Len. but I wasn't wrong, read his post: "I have £1,500 to spend on a digital camera with a 'normal' zoom (24 to 70 sort of thing). I don't mind second hand if that will get me something better."

You're right, I didn't state frame/chip size, but after advice on this thread and researching more decided full-frame is the way forward for me.
hobbo Plus
8 1.3k 2 England
19 Mar 2019 8:43AM
Studying the development of this thread over the past week or three, I feel now, that it has got into a bit of a...Round-Robin.... just one system/camera/lens set against other..... it might be wiser for the OP to find photographers who are already producing high quality poster-size prints, then discull the proís and conís with them.

Iím sure that pretty well any used camera costing as much as the OP has to spend will produce decent poster-size prints.... it would concern me if they couldnít.

Just thinking aloud. 🤔

Hobbo
21 Mar 2019 12:01PM
The D810 has an electronic front shutter curtain which when used in "live view" mode all but eliminates vibration, as the mirror is already up.

Nicephore

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.