Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

best virus protection for mac

my norton sub is running out should i stay with norton

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
7 7.1k 33 Norway
17 Jun 2017 6:34PM
FSecure is said to be specially good for Mac...
I got it free with my Mac 4 years ago, a 5 year deal. Never had a problem with viruses. Don't even notice it working in the background...
(Also run CCleaner and Malwarebytes reularly.)
JJGEE 12 7.0k 18 England
17 Jun 2017 10:18PM
I use a product from INTEGO called VirusBarrier.

Currently it has twice weekly updates of virus malware definitions.
Does it work ?
I think so as it did catch something once a couple of years ago.

robthecamman 6 1.7k United Kingdom
18 Jun 2017 12:06AM
never used security on mac had for years no problems
ChrisV 10 1.8k 26 United Kingdom
18 Jun 2017 9:41AM

Quote:never used security on mac had for years no problems

Ditto. 27 years and no issues with myself or the organisation I work for (currently running six Macs).

A lot of IT people will tell you that there's nothing inherently more secure about Macs. The one thing they've never done is automatically run macros contained in emails or other outside sources without the user's permission - which is how a lot of malware is conventionally spread.
Philh04 Plus
12 1.1k United Kingdom
18 Jun 2017 9:56AM

Quote:never used security on mac had for years no problems

And ditto again, never had a problem, it is as ChrisV says a Mac does not automatically run those naughty macros. I will admit to a very occasional run of Malwarebytes but that is it...
sherlob Plus
11 2.9k 129 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2017 7:25AM
Ditto again: albeit I now suspect I have a problem. My iMac is running in a way that is somewhat odd - becoming progressively slower the longer it is turned on (including standby time). The pattern very much reminds me of the spyware type issues I used to have with Windows. The fact I've just been contacted by Apple to say someone in China is trying to access my iCloud is also significant! Time to install something I feel...
sherlob Plus
11 2.9k 129 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2017 9:13AM
For those interested, a little digging indicates Sophos to be consistently rated the best free app of its type for the Mac. I'm going to give it a go...
Philh04 Plus
12 1.1k United Kingdom
19 Jun 2017 9:28AM

Quote:albeit I now suspect I have a problem

Malwarebytes is a free download and well worth running just to check and remove any malware that might have snook in...
banehawi Plus
13 1.6k 3722 Canada
19 Jun 2017 1:23PM
Just wondering, has any of your virus programmes for macs ever detected a virus?
Philh04 Plus
12 1.1k United Kingdom
19 Jun 2017 1:29PM

Quote:Just wondering, has any of your virus programmes for macs ever detected a virus?

In a word... no, I just run Malwarebytes very occasionally just in case, before I retired our PC's at work were always having problems and I guess running Mbam is left over from that.
Carabosse Plus
14 41.0k 269 England
19 Jun 2017 8:36PM
Only about 6% of computers use a Mac operating system. Virus creators can't be bothered writing viruses for such a tiny user population.

Once upon a time people thought Macs would take over the world but it never happened and the market share is roughly the same as it was 10-15 years ago.

Ergo......... probably not worth bothering with AV. But Avast do a freebie AV for Mac. (I use Avast for Windows.)

I've run Windows for donkey's years but have only once been caught by a virus and that was about 10 years ago. It's not something I lose sleep over! Wink
JJGEE 12 7.0k 18 England
19 Jun 2017 10:12PM

Quote:Just wondering, has any of your virus programmes for macs ever detected a virus?

Yes, see my earlier post from 2 days ago.
Philh04 Plus
12 1.1k United Kingdom
21 Jun 2017 8:58AM
A point of interest for those concerned... My wifes Macbook Pro was starting to run slow, she ran the latest version of Malwarebytes and thirteen threat files were found, Malwarebytes removed these and the computer is back to running speedily...
Just Jas Plus
15 26.1k 1 England
22 Jun 2017 4:02PM
I ran one of those programs a while ago. It came up with something like 35 'threats'. The program offered one free removal which I took advantage of.

After a cold restart I ran the program again.

It came up with the same 35 threats as before.

I contacted the supplier via his 'Contact' box and got the reply "Well, shouldn't have done that".

Needless to say, I didn't buy the software.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.