Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Better Beamer

suejoh Plus
13 249 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2017 5:07PM
This has been recommended to me for a photo trip. I can't seem to find this in the UK though. Does anyone know of a UK product that does the same thing i.e. concentrate the flash beam so it goes further.
Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog Plus
8 4.9k 58 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2017 5:10PM
suejoh Plus
13 249 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2017 5:07PM
thank you
StrayCat Plus
13 18.8k 3 Canada
14 Nov 2017 7:25AM
I've used it, quite a few years ago, and it does what they say, it's a quality product.
justin c 14 4.9k 36 England
14 Nov 2017 11:48AM
Be very careful with it. There's a reason why it's widely known as the "Better BURNER".
justin c 14 4.9k 36 England
14 Nov 2017 5:15PM
Just to add to my post above. The reason I say be careful is, in case you weren't aware, it's very easy to have the sun accidentally shine on the front of the lens of the Better Beamer, whether whilst in use or when carrying your gear. It obviously magnifies the sun's rays and can, and very easily will, burn the front of your flashgun, your lens, or your camera, or even you.
I remember carrying my set-up over my shoulder with Canon flash and Better Beamer attached, I was only carrying it for just a minute or two when I smelt burning and saw smoke coming from the top of my 500mm lens. Thankfully I had a wildlife watching supplies cover on the lens at the time, but in no time at all the sun had burnt a hole straight through the cover. Always be very conscious of the sun's direction when using it and remove the Better Beamer's detachable lens whenever it's not in use.
Another tip, remember to manually set your flashgun's zoom setting to 50mm.
It's a handy thing to have but IMHO it's not quite as useful as it once was, thanks to the far better dynamic range, high ISO performance and better post processing tools, compared to several years ago.
StrayCat Plus
13 18.8k 3 Canada
14 Nov 2017 6:49PM
I never did have that problem, although it makes good sense. I used it mainly with the old Nikon 80-400mm from the car window for hawks that perch on fence posts on the prairies. It has an incredible range, unbelievable.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.