WEX Deals: Use code 10CAN to save 10% on select Canon lenses

BEWARE

User_Removed 10 1.4k England
9 Feb 2011 11:48PM
If anyone is interested, drive failure rates.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cathal 15 492 4 United Kingdom
9 Feb 2011 11:50PM
Had a similar experience with a drive a few years back (blogged about on here). There are many reasons why a drive can fail, and in your case as its an external drive there are a few other components that can be responsible. Once you are satisfied that the problem lies within the drive itself, look for a utility online called "getdataback" ... it saved my data. Free to try and see if your data is recoverable, and only about $30 to buy.

A platter lift into another drive is the last resort.
Overread 11 4.1k 19 England
10 Feb 2011 1:35AM
There are only 2 kinds of harddrive in the world;

1) Those that have crashed
2) Those that are about to crash

Thus keeping other backups is always important, but also keep printed media too. So often people think only of digital solutions which can muck up so easily without any direct fault (something happens as you're syncing data between two drives and bang your original and backup are corrupted). Prints of key messages - prints of your photos - might not be the same as the digital negative but you've at least got something Smile
10 Feb 2011 6:55AM
Same sort of thing happen to me, drive making knocking and wurring sounds which I ignored for too long until one day it died. Took it to a local PC World who changed the case for me and got everything back. The tech team there were excellent but the attitude of the woman serving me was very arrogant, a little bit of knowledge shouldnt make you talk down to people but I wouldnt hesitate in taking something back to them (although I hope it doesnt happen again). Dont give up just yet Dave, it could come right.
Tandberg 17 1.2k 2 England
10 Feb 2011 6:59AM
will read the thread in a bit got to go to work but thanks for the replys so far and the offer Wink
Will try whatever it takes

Be back shortly
Dave
Nick_w Plus
13 4.3k 99 England
10 Feb 2011 8:08AM
I'm really sorry to hear that Dave, I know exactly how you feel the same happened to me 2 years ago.

When the drive is on do you hear a "clicking"? That could indicate a head crash and pc world will not be able to retrieve it tho they can send it away to a 3rd party.

Its worth trying pc world tho I'm not sure the nearest one to Halifax but when I used the ones in Huddersfield they were knowledgeable - tho didn't retrieve anything.

One thing I did is use a disc recovery bit of software I retrieved an awefull lot from the memory cards - you would be surprised how many images are retrievable.
If your interested drop me a pm I will dig out the info tonight when I'm home.
jken 14 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
10 Feb 2011 8:48AM
Dave,

Don't know if you're Mac or PC but i got everything back from and old Mac drive that fell over last year with THIS

Not sure if there's a PC version but there must be something similar around, my disk was making knocking and popping noises and just spinning but it got everything off for me, FREE to although they like donations.
10 Feb 2011 9:33AM
Im on pc and the drive is a freecom external one that i bought years back its always unplugged and is only plugged in to add images.
What happened was i bought a new surge protector and plugged everything in to it as it had 8 sockets insted of the 2 that i have that have four each, so it made sense to buy one for all.
Anyhow later after i plugged all in, the lamp flickered and the power went off to all the upsatirs sockets and this happened 3 times during the evening, so i thought it must be that surge protecter so i unplugged it and went back to the old system and its been fine, exept i plugged in the drive to go at some shots and it lights up spins then stops spinning for a while then it starts spinning again the stops etc. My computer shows the drive and shows all folders but when i go to copy all it just freezes and i cannot paste onto another drive, so i have to turn off the drive to carry on as normal.
Hope that explains te situation a bit more
D
pabloisme 10 566 England
10 Feb 2011 9:46AM
if it's clicking its generally done for, saying that I have one that intermittantly clicks (annoying as it has no rythm!) I only use it as a scratch disc on one of my linux boxes.

BUT if it is a usb it may be its power input (via the USB bus) is too low, take the drive from the box and plug it in (if its 2 or 3 years old, then its probably a pata 40 pin job with molex power) to an old PC as a slave, nothing to lose?

Amazon do a service of data storage (started using redundant data centre drives) called AMAZON S3 hava a look!
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
10 Feb 2011 9:47AM
By the sounds of it there is a chance that you may be able to fit the drive into another cage and get it to work. How is the external drive powered, is it through the USB ports or from its own power supply?

If USB ports then it is possible your PC's ports are getting overloaded so un-plug as many of the extra USB devices as possible and try it on another port.

If an external power supply do you have another as what you could be seeing is a PSU failure. with luck the actual disk is OK, just its PSU may be on the way out or some other electrical fault.
pabloisme 10 566 England
10 Feb 2011 10:33AM
I did say: BUT if it is a usb it may be its power input (via the USB bus) is too low,

and I have seen it before
10 Feb 2011 10:52AM
I think we typed it at the same time
10 Feb 2011 11:23AM
hi chris
internet connection went down and lost my reply that i wrote

whats happened is this
seen a thing about freezing drive for few hours in a freezer wrapped up well and sealed tightly.
In desperation i did it, and now im copying files onto another drive as we speak so its come to life for now and i dont care as long as it gives me the time to copy all files onto new drive.
so im sat here watching it go slowly and my fingers,legs,eyes are crossed rosery beads at hand and my 4 leaf clover out,in hope that it will will till they are copied over
10 Feb 2011 11:27AM
There is a fair chance its power consumption is lower cold
10 Feb 2011 11:28AM
well its copying thats the main thing phewwwwwww

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.