Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Beware of Pirate copies! CS5 upgrading... not!

JulieR 15 28 England
13 Jun 2010 5:31PM
Last year I unknowingly bought a pirate copy of CS2 from Amazon (private seller) all was working well until I thought I would upgrade to CS5.
Loaded the new CS5 disc entered the serial number and hey presto not recognised. Spoke to a coupe of very nice chaps on the Adobe help line and they couldn't verify the serial number of my CS2 either! I am now stuck as to what to do as I can't afford a full version of CS5 and Amazon won't take back my opened CS5 software!

My question is (as money is tight after being made redundant recently) if I buy a legitimate second hand version of CS2 will I be able to use that to upgrade to CS5? or what other options do I have?
Thanks everyone, a lesson learnt, if it's too good to be true (the price of the CS2) then it probably is!
Jules Sad
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
13 Jun 2010 5:37PM

Quote: if I buy a legitimate second hand version of CS2 will I be able to use that to upgrade to CS5

Almost certainly yes.....Smile Though I'm suprised the very nice guys at Adobe did not volunteer that advise.....Sad

However you could also buy a used copy of CS3 and do the same.....Smile

BUT you do have to be very very very carefull to buy a " Legit " Used copy of either CS2 or 3, Or you may wind up even more out of pocket.

Who ever is selling it needs to " De-comission " the copy they are selling to you, From the computer they had it installed on.......Most Important.

So as and when you do locate a used item, Double & Triple check who you are dealing with, Because there are far to many scam artists out there.

Hope you get sorted.....Wink
JulieR 15 28 England
13 Jun 2010 5:40PM
Brilliant thank you Cameracat x
I will be very careful in future Smile
Overread 13 4.1k 19 England
13 Jun 2010 6:10PM

Quote:I am now stuck as to what to do as I can't afford a full version of CS5 and Amazon won't take back my opened CS5 software!

I would push the issue with Amazon - you have proof from Adobe that the code you were supplied with was not legitimate and thus that the software you bought through their site is not a legal copy - or at the very least that something dodgy is occuring with one of their retailers/dealers on the site.
MrGoatsmilk 13 1.5k England
13 Jun 2010 6:16PM
At the price it is sold at I can see why people would and do download cracker versions of Photoshop
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
13 Jun 2010 7:35PM

Quote:I would push the issue with Amazon

Good idea to contact them, Though I suspect the stuff sold via a private entry relinquishes Amazon from any liability....Sad

But as you say, It should alert them to the fact that they are being used by " Scumbags " to fleece people for " Pirate Goods "......!!!

The pity is that buyers tend to feel safe going via Amazon ( and they should be ) So its up to Amazon to verify these private sales, Or ban private software sales, If they can not...!!!

Wink
User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
13 Jun 2010 8:42PM
Just to add that it is essential that the decommissioning of the software on the seller's computer is recorded with Adobe. It's the same problem if you change your own computer and want to install your own legit software on it. You need to decommission it on the old computer first. I wish more software producers would follow the recent example set by Symantec with Norton security packages and make the basic package valid for three users at the same address (very handy of you want to use software on both a desktop and laptop).

I did hear, unofficially, that Adobe don't block registration of software on two machines but that may not be correct or universal. The problem with mass-duplicated pirate software, of course, is that it is copied hundreds of times. What is a trifle strange is that you only got hit with this when you attempted to upgrade the software rather than when you first tried to register it with Adobe.

A legit way of getting very expensive Adobe software at a much cheaper rate is to enrol for an appropriate evening class and get the "student rate".
mlewis 16 1.5k United Kingdom
13 Jun 2010 11:02PM

Quote:I did hear, unofficially, that Adobe don't block registration of software on two machines but that may not be correct or universal

The official Adobe policy with Photoshop & Lightroom (and maybe other programs of theirs but I don't use them so I don't know) is that you can have the software activated on two computers that you own but you cannot use both copies at the same time.
stevenb Plus
18 281 7 England
14 Jun 2010 12:12AM
I 'm pretty sure you can only upgrade two version, eg CS3 to CS5 and not CS2 to CS5 . would suggest you ckeck

Bill
cambirder 17 7.2k England
14 Jun 2010 1:05AM

Quote:I 'm pretty sure you can only upgrade two version, eg CS3 to CS5 and not CS2 to CS5

No you can upgrade from 2.
JulieR 15 28 England
14 Jun 2010 9:04AM
Thanks everyone for your advice, taken onboard Smile I found a website selling CS2 for 135 as below has anyone had any dealings with them? I am a bit nervous now about spending on the web!
http://www.softwarebuddy.co.uk/

Many many thanks

Jules
miyaguchi 11 136 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2010 9:52AM
Is the Student version, @ 140, exactly the same as the full version @1000+?
Coleslaw 16 13.4k 28 Wales
14 Jun 2010 9:55AM

Quote:I would push the issue with Amazon - you have proof from Adobe that the code you were supplied with was not legitimate and thus that the software you bought through their site is not a legal copy - or at the very least that something dodgy is occuring with one of their retailers/dealers on the site.

I would definitely do that, and see what amazon could offer you.
66tricky 14 742 Scotland
14 Jun 2010 10:01AM

Quote:Thanks everyone for your advice, taken onboard Smile I found a website selling CS2 for 135 as below has anyone had any dealings with them? I am a bit nervous now about spending on the web!
http://www.softwarebuddy.co.uk/

Many many thanks

Jules

I would tread carefuly as they have no contact or "company" details on their website...

Whois shows private address at a semi in Luton for the domain name

Only similar name at Companies House is for a Leeds based company with a hyphen in the middle.
JulieR 15 28 England
14 Jun 2010 10:30AM
Ohh thank you 66tricky, it does sound very dodgy, thank you so much for researching them, you have been really helpful Smile Back to the drawing board then, If anyone knows where I can get a reasonaly priced CS2 please let me know Sad x

Jules

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.