BFP

tricky66 15 24 United Kingdom
1 Dec 2009 6:03PM
Anyone out there a member of the BFP ready to big it up and urge me to join?

Rich
User_Removed 14 2.2k 3 United Kingdom
1 Dec 2009 6:19PM
Not really. The resource book is great for finding editorial work and segmenting your markets but so far it hasn't flicked my switches. I'll probably discontinue it next year.
tricky66 15 24 United Kingdom
1 Dec 2009 6:31PM
Thanks Chris, I may do the 2 month trial on the mag and have a look, but was also wanting to start a course that I can do from home and end up with a recognisable qualification. Would theirs suit?

Cheers

Rich
User_Removed 14 2.2k 3 United Kingdom
1 Dec 2009 7:01PM
Sorry Rich, I have no idea.
Fujiconvert 17 1.3k England
4 Dec 2009 12:18PM
Depends on how serious you are, for example I had trouble a few years ago with a pro lab and I needed help from the bfp legal dept. They managed to sort out my problem with a decent result. Been a member for a few years now and I think it's worth it but it's all subjective.
filmforever 14 775
7 Dec 2009 10:21AM

Quote:Thanks Chris, I may do the 2 month trial on the mag and have a look, but was also wanting to start a course that I can do from home and end up with a recognisable qualification. Would theirs suit?

Re. qualifications. They may give you confidence, but they are mainly meaningless in the world of editorial photography. I speak as someone who spent some time on a newspaper picture desk. I would frequently get photographers angling for work, ringing up and telling me they have this & that qualification etc. My answer would be; "I'm not interested in your qualifications, show me something I can use in tomorrow's paper".
THe moral here is: stop trying to hide behind certificates, and study the publication you wish to contribute to and really get a feel for the kind of pictures it uses.

dasantillo 16 231 1 Wales
11 Dec 2009 7:13AM
I had a magazine that wouldn't pay - a phone call to the BfP and I was paid within a week Smile
filmforever 14 775
11 Dec 2009 11:01AM
Publications that don't pay up are becoming more common, because they've become used to mugs sending in pictures for free, and being satisfied with seeing their name under the pic. An organisation like the BFP can be very useful in these situations.
Their picture "wants" section can be useful in making occasional sales, so long as you're clear when submitting that a fee is required for usage.
Think of it as a useful organisation that may generate some extra sales, rather than as a mainststrem income source.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.