Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Bignorman

bumbleb3 11 358 United Kingdom
22 Oct 2011 5:37PM
Has anyone purchased anything from a website called Bignorman.
They are in Gibraltar and seem a lot cheaper than anyone else.
They also seem to have a good feedback
sandy

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevSB 13 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
22 Oct 2011 6:43PM
Not sure what your thinking of buying but its very possible that this will be grey imports, Make yourself aware of the implications of that before buying and check out if Gibralter is due for import tax and vat, If it is then it may well cost you more than getting it local.

I checked his feedback and 84 percent positive which is not very good, the rest wasent impressed and definetly grey imports according to them. Personally unless low value wouldent touch them
bumbleb3 11 358 United Kingdom
23 Oct 2011 8:55AM

Quote:Not sure what your thinking of buying but its very possible that this will be grey imports, Make yourself aware of the implications of that before buying and check out if Gibralter is due for import tax and vat, If it is then it may well cost you more than getting it local.

I checked his feedback and 84 percent positive which is not very good, the rest wasent impressed and definetly grey imports according to them. Personally unless low value wouldent touch them

Thanks Kev
How did you find about his feedback as I could only find a couple and they were excellent.I must have been looking in the wrong place
sandy
23 Oct 2011 9:22AM
took me a while to find it again

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/seller/feedback.html?ie=UTF8&isAmazonFulfilled=&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&isCBA=&orderID=&asin=B003NJVY14&marketplaceSeller=0&seller=A31FWYXPRLLJ0T&isPopup=

It seems to be one of those companys that you play the lottery with, perfect for some but bad experience for others, Bear in mind that 84 percent is over 49 customers so that would be alot of customers in large sales
strawman 13 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
23 Oct 2011 9:30AM
If they are a lot lower in cost there is a reason. So if you feel lucky go ahead. Personally I would only buy from a UK retailer with a UK VAT receipt. Otherwise you are at risk of the taxman or a lack of support in terms of problems.
collywobles 13 3.9k 10 United Kingdom
23 Oct 2011 10:06AM
The risks some people will take to save a couple of quid is senseless. €olin
User_Removed 7 4.6k 1 Scotland
23 Oct 2011 10:16AM
When I was in Gibraltar earlier in the year, I was disappointed by the prices in their (many) camera and electronics shops. In the main they were on a par with the discount retailers in UK yet, if you are an honest person, you would have to declare any purchases for import duty and VAT at UK Customs - which would make it far more expensive than buying in UK.
NEWDIGIT 5 401 United Kingdom
24 Oct 2011 2:51PM
Buying from overseas is ALLWAYS a risk
Some people may be happy to evade import tax ,vat etc at the same time as kissing goodbye to a valid warranty, and the ability to speak eye ball to eye ball if things go wrong.
Apart from H/K there seem to be few places that are significantly lower in price nowadays than the UK stores.
Also remember simply because you were not caught by customs this time does not meen you will not in future.
A member at our local camera club purchased a rather expensive pair of prime lenses two years ago while on a holiday stop over in H/K packed them in his lowepro and walked through customs.
Last month on returning from Spain he was random searched the serial numbers of the two primes were not on the customs import database the result a 4 figure bill for unpaid import and vat.
The lenses would have been cheaper in the UK plus he is now on the customs watch list and was lucky not to be fined as well.
The moral is you pay your money and take the risk or "if its to good to be true it usually is"
emmgav 5 1
16 Nov 2011 9:21PM
Bit one sided this debate.... Play.com is overseas, when they were not the brand name they are today did no one buy from them as "if its to good to be true it usually is". Gibraltar is part of the EU so wouldnt say its a risk, neither would i think the gambling websites that are huge in gibraltar but do all their business here as a risk either. Has anyone actually bought from bignorman or are you speculating, as this promise on the link makes it pretty much risk free: http://www.bignorman.com/text-delivery.htm - if wrong you get everything for free!
Coleslaw 11 13.4k 28 Wales
16 Nov 2011 9:33PM
errr. ... Play. com is Jersey based, I wont say that is oversea.

I am sure you have nothing to do with bignorman btw.
Paul Morgan 15 18.6k 6 England
16 Nov 2011 9:40PM

Quote:errr. ... Play. com is Jersey based, I wont say that is oversea

They may be Jersey based but were are the products sent from ?
Coleslaw 11 13.4k 28 Wales
16 Nov 2011 9:43PM
Jersey? Just a guess, well, at least all the items I bought from them were anyway.
16 Nov 2011 11:29PM

Quote:Bit one sided this debate.... Play.com is overseas, when they were not the brand name they are today did no one buy from them as "if its to good to be true it usually is". Gibraltar is part of the EU so wouldnt say its a risk, neither would i think the gambling websites that are huge in gibraltar but do all their business here as a risk either. Has anyone actually bought from bignorman or are you speculating, as this promise on the link makes it pretty much risk free: http://www.bignorman.com/text-delivery.htm - if wrong you get everything for free!

Feedback 30 days 90 days 365 days Lifetime
Positive 81% 85% 85% 85%
Neutral 6% 6% 6% 6%
Negative 13% 9% 9% 9%
Count 47 85 85 85

Not specalating, thats customer feedback, 85 percent positive is not very good by normal standards
jimthistle73 13 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2011 11:38PM
Almost all my camera gear has come from digitalrev - a HK based company with a UK office and excellent ebay feedback. I'm well aware that there is no real warranty but over the years I've spent at least 8G with them and had no problems. I've had to pay customs charges and nonsensical "Handling Charges" but I've still saved piles of cash. I do have business insurance though - if any of my gear fails catastophically I could claim on that.

I certainly wouldn't buy from the above lot ^^^ No point in gambling with your cash!
Paul Morgan 15 18.6k 6 England
17 Nov 2011 12:10AM

Quote:Jersey? Just a guess, well, at least all the items I bought from them were anyway

I could have sworn it was this lot I once placed an order with, the item was sent from Hong kong

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.