Bird behaviour.

altitude50 15 16.4k United Kingdom
30 May 2019 7:32PM
This blackbird settled on the rail with a beak full of worms tonight. One of it's legs was obviously injured and it was singing away with the food in it's beak on one leg.

I grabbed the first camera to hand (compact) and started to take photos through the glass but there were reflections and background was poor. Eventually I opened a top window and took about twenty photos from a higher point, the exposure was difficult because of the black plumage. The bird must have known I was there because I was about 4 feet from it. It stayed there for about 15 minutes.

21670_1559240896.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

30 May 2019 8:01PM
Looks like a soft railing...his foot/claw seems embedded in it..!

Ah hang on...thatís just the thumbnail I see on típad...anyway...

We have a bird table on the patio, which gets refilled every evening...

Recently we’íve had (amongst others..) a couple of Blackbird mums and their young ( who seem the same size....) - with mum stuffing mealworms into them, until mum isn’t looking and they manage to do it themselves...Tongue
Jestertheclown 11 8.0k 252 England
30 May 2019 8:15PM
I use a low 9" wide wall outside my lounge window as a feeding station.

The birds that land there take a few days to get used to my being inside the open window, like yourself, about four feet away but once they get the idea that I'm friendly, they take little notice.

altitude50 15 16.4k United Kingdom
3 Jul 2019 8:55AM
Yesterday the same blackbird came & stood on its one leg about a metre away from me for about a minute. I looked at him & he looked at me.
I don't put birdfood of any sort out because of seagulls.
DaveRyder Plus
5 3.5k 1 United Kingdom
3 Jul 2019 12:03PM
We have a nest in a bush with two or three newly hatched blackbirds in it. The two adult birds flying in and out throughout the day.
I've resisted the urge to disturb them with the camera.

And of course a really good reason not the get the hedge cutters out.
Jestertheclown 11 8.0k 252 England
3 Jul 2019 2:31PM
We recently had a family of sparrows; eggs through to fledging the nest in a bush in a fairly quiet quadrant at the school where I work then, as soon as they'd gone, a family of robins did the same thing behind a pair of football boots in our outdoor boot rack.
The students loved them being there and the area's anything but quiet but all five chicks survived.
DaveRyder Plus
5 3.5k 1 United Kingdom
3 Jul 2019 9:50PM
I could help myself.... Blush

4 Jul 2019 7:08AM
It might have two legs, some just prefer to stand on one, have you seen it hopping around on the ground

As regards food for blackbirds, try putting out either an apple or pear, close to cover if there are no cats about, or out in the open if there are, and if you want more activity, then a bird bath could help

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.