Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Bird ringing

2 Aug 2018 5:54PM

I managed to photograph this young Starling yesterday
on his leg he has a ring with writing that appears to read 'museum London 80' and a larger number '...2884' I cannot see all the writing but thats the bit I could see.
I was wondering when and where this youngster would have been ringed. I live approx 170 miles from London.

SteveSmile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tianshi_angie 4 2.7k England
2 Aug 2018 6:15PM
I think that there is a 'universal' (for Britain) numbering system. I think too that if you Google 'ringed birds' you will find more information. I believe that those that 'ring' are always very glad to hear of live birds as often they are only reported .when they are dead or the ring has become detached (for whatever reason).

Try this https://blx1.bto.org/euring/lang/pages/rings.jsp
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
2 Aug 2018 6:22PM
Standard ringing...

Museum, London will be the Natural History Museum in London, the larger number will be part of the birds unique identifier.

The full address should read:
NH Museum
London
SW7

The NHM is I believe historical now (it is an address that fits on the ring and the museum is not going to move in a hurry) and sightings etc. should be reported to the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO).
2 Aug 2018 7:26PM
Thanks guys, sent the bird details with your link, hopefully it will help with their studies

Steve
GazzaG2003 16 365 England
3 Aug 2018 10:19AM
What a wonderful post as a nature photographer it gave me a smile this morning thank you.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.