Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Birds in flight with Canon EOS 5DSR + Canon 100-400mm

Bluey54 New Member
3 May 2021 12:40PM
Birds in flight. I just don't seem to be able to get my settings right. I need the easiest and fastest focus, high speed and best metering settings. Can anyone tell me what successful settings they use for the same or similar subjects? Many thanks.
Chrism8 14 980 28 England
3 May 2021 6:36PM
Successful BIF shots are also a lot to do with skills and technique Smile

I'd suggest single spot focussing, a shutter speed above 1/2000 sec, the ISO to suit, aperture around F5.6 to F8 with continuous shooting enabled.

Then hone your handholding technique, your panning technique and keep practising.
Mike_Smith Plus
13 757 2 United Kingdom
3 May 2021 7:00PM
As above apart from use 9 focus points, more chance of getting a sharp shot.
Bluey54 New Member
3 May 2021 7:05PM
Thanks. Do you think any of the pre defined autofocus cases are of any use?
Bluey54 New Member
3 May 2021 7:09PM

Quote:As above apart from use 9 focus points, more chance of getting a sharp shot.

I can see your logic as holding a single spot on a bird at the 400mm end of the zoom is somewhat challenging 😏
NeilSchofield Plus
14 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
3 May 2021 9:21PM
Try shooting in AF servo drive with your bodies fastest frame rate, as for AF point selection, you may need to experiment to see which AF selection point setting can best lock to target and keep locked on to target, and that can change with sky or ground vegetation as backgrounds but as a general rule using enough focus points to cover the subject in the frame is a good way to start

I donít know if you have tried back button focus, and removing focusing from the shutter button, this is used to separate the focusing and shutter firing which I find helpful as itís easier to see when focus lock is achieved and then you fire the shutter, it may seem counter intuitive at first but is quite easy and quickly becomes intuitive

Repeated bird behaviours are easier to get right and some food for the subjects might help you there, or go to the local duck pond or wherever folk feed birds and snap away

Thereís no shortage of pigeons to practice on and they are in my view an easier target for the AF

You can also get cheap pistol grips for the lens foot on you 100-400 from eBay or Amazon, they can help you with holding your gear whilst tracking your subject

Good luck
Bluey54 New Member
4 May 2021 12:20AM

Quote:Try shooting in AF servo drive with your bodies fastest frame rate, as for AF point selection, you may need to experiment to see which AF selection point setting can best lock to target and keep locked on to target, and that can change with sky or ground vegetation as backgrounds but as a general rule using enough focus points to cover the subject in the frame is a good way to start

I donít know if you have tried back button focus, and removing focusing from the shutter button, this is used to separate the focusing and shutter firing which I find helpful as itís easier to see when focus lock is achieved and then you fire the shutter, it may seem counter intuitive at first but is quite easy and quickly becomes intuitive

Repeated bird behaviours are easier to get right and some food for the subjects might help you there, or go to the local duck pond or wherever folk feed birds and snap away

Thereís no shortage of pigeons to practice on and they are in my view an easier target for the AF

You can also get cheap pistol grips for the lens foot on you 100-400 from eBay or Amazon, they can help you with holding your gear whilst tracking your subject

Good luck

Bluey54 New Member
4 May 2021 12:21AM
Thanks, that is all very useful stuff and I appreciate the time you have spent replying. Best regards.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.