Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Birmingham considers Linux

cambirder 17 7.2k England
10 Oct 2007 12:04AM
I've just converted my machine to run Ubuntu (dual booting with Windows XL).

Once I had got the disk partitioning sorted out it was a piece of cake to install. The build comes with FF and Open Office installed, but adding new programs such as the Opera browser was also very easy using the installer (Synaptic) that comes with the package.

If anyone fancies trying it without mucking with your PC. Download the CD Installer, burn it to a CD or DVD and run the program from that. The latest version 7.10 is due to be launched in 8 days time.
cambirder 17 7.2k England
10 Oct 2007 12:06AM

Quote:All of the above dues not answer the question of why our Linux server (Red hat) crashes more than our two windows 2003 servers

Maybe its just a knackered old server, or just poorly configured.
Perdiccas 15 90 Holy See (Vatican City State)
10 Oct 2007 7:39AM
Ubuntu is a fantastic distribution and setting up a dual boot is simplicity itself. Nearly everything works out of the box on both my laptop and PC. Unfortunately WiFi seems to be a blindspot for Linux and it works poorly on my laptop and not at all on my desktop. WAP encryption is a no go. Hopefully this will have been sorted out with the new kernel and Ubuntu distro. I'll give it another whirl. Also colour management is not good on Linux which means that for the time being XP will remain my OS of choice.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.