Claim 3 FREE professional prints with Fujifilm

Black and White

keith selmes 18 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2004 1:47PM
Ted, a quick search with google turned up some links about colour blind photographers.

Heres the web site of one colour blind photographer, with a pretty detailed run down on colour blindness - it blends well into that other B&W thread.

And a couple of references here.
pmiller 17 1
30 Nov 2004 2:04PM
I've been putting some of my B & W pics on over the last few days - pity I didn't see the category. Is there a way of changing the category of an already posted picture?
Boyd 18 11.2k 11 Wales
30 Nov 2004 2:08PM
Pete is slowly working his way back through them and changing them.
spaceman 18 5.3k 3 Wales
30 Nov 2004 2:37PM
Why do we have categories anyway? All of the photographs go in the same gallery.
chris.maddock 21 3.7k United Kingdom
30 Nov 2004 3:06PM
So that viewers can filter specific categories and cut out those they aren't interested in seeing at any time.
ellis rowell 17 2.0k United Kingdom
30 Nov 2004 3:19PM
Tezza,

I too have put forward the point in my club debates that darkroom prints that were only printed with b/w silver papers, b/w films and chemicals were not always true black and white in tone but also cool blue and warm brown. All no to avail. :-(

Three basic groups of papers were available after the war,
Chloride, Bromide and Chloro-Bromide. The Chloride papers gave a cold blue/black tone, bromide a warm black and Chloro-Bromide a fairly true black. The first was used for contact prints while the other two were used for enlargements.

I also did some B/W slides in the '50s One lot were contact printed on 35mm positive film stock which produced a true black. Whilst the others were done by reversal process on Ilford HP3 which gave a warm tone. The contact prints were done by exposing with a 2.5v lamp and battery with a push button so that very short exposure times could be achieved.
scandave2003 18 380 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2004 3:38PM
To answer Ted's question I am red green colour blind. I have known this since I was 15. It is not that I don't see colours I just see them differently to you normal people.

An extreme example is red poppies in a field, whereas they stand out to normal sighted people, depending on the strength and direction of the ambient light they can either be glaringly obvious or almost invisible to me.

The only serious impact that it has had on my life is that the RAF wouldn't let me join them to become a pilot. I joined the Royal Signals as an Electronic Technician instead and spent nine years connecting up multi coloured wiring looms.

As far as photography is concerned, the only difference it has is that I tend to discard pictures which to me do not have sufficient colour contrast, only to be told off by my better half.

When scanning and colour correcting images, I may see them differently to the rest of the world, but I correct them so they look right to me and they then look right to everyone else.

The only time I really think about it is when we are shopping for clothes or to decorate the house and my wife asks me my opinion. She has then has to be reminded of my disability.

Wink

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.