WEX Deal: Free Grip With Panasonic LUMIX G100 Purchase

Black Perspex Surface Problem

njsmith 15 85 United Kingdom
6 Apr 2008 12:28PM
Iíve recently bought myself a piece of black Perspex with the intention of taking some close up / macro product shots. The problem I am experiencing is that as that the Perspex attracts dust like nobodies business and it is ruining the shot.

Is there anybody with experience of this sort of shot that may be able to offer me advice on eliminating the static and hopefully the dust clinging to the surface of the Perspex. However much I brush the dust off (which may well cause more static) the dust is back by the time I try to take the photo.

Nick

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
6 Apr 2008 12:36PM
I use a thing called a 'Zerostat 3' and a Giotto blower Nick... the Zerostat' is a negative ion generator which, literally, negates the positive ions in the dust so that it can be blown off by the blower. I'm sure the 'big boys' will have alternate ideas - cheaper possibly too as the Zerostat ain't cheap! LOL!
6 Apr 2008 12:58PM
Mike

Thanks for your response. I used my Rocket air blower but it couln't remove the dust because of the static.
6 Apr 2008 12:58PM
Hope it helps Nick...
6 Apr 2008 1:04PM
I'll have to look for a ZeroStat 3 by the sounds of it if I want to get the pictures I'm trying for.

Thanks for the info Mike.
6 Apr 2008 1:08PM
Plenty of options here Nick - about £35 whichever way you go!
6 Apr 2008 1:10PM
Thanks Mike,

I was just about to search google.

Thanks for you help, greatly appreciated.
6 Apr 2008 1:14PM
A pleasure...
rowarrior 12 4.4k 9 Scotland
6 Apr 2008 5:29PM
Nick, can I ask where you got the black perspex from? Was admiring a shot on here taken on black perspex, but the tog was using some he'd had left over from his college course a number of years ago and a few people had reported to him that they had trouble finding it.

Thanks Smile
Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
6 Apr 2008 5:33PM
User_Removed 15 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
6 Apr 2008 8:32PM
Got mine from Ebay ( where else Smile)
rowarrior 12 4.4k 9 Scotland
6 Apr 2008 8:54PM
Thanks guys. There was one in Cole's post that suggested getting offcuts from a company that happens to have a factory a few miles down the road, so might try there and E-bay
Opix_Uk 11 1
27 Dec 2008 1:34PM
Hi,

My link removed by epz - no advertising in forums please thanks Company use a lot of Perspex which comes with a protective carrier to stop the perspex getting scratched before its used. When the carrier is removed it creates a lot of static charge. So we clean the Perspex with isopropyl alcohol which you can get from electronic stores or chemists for about £5 with some anti-static cloths. This removes all the dust particules from the Perspex and will help if you were to use coloured Perspex / Acrylic as a backdrop for Macro shots etc.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.