Zoner Photo Studio X: The only photo editor you'll ever need - save 25%

Bleep bleep...Help!

laurab 19 53 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2005 11:36PM
I have just turned my PC on and the tower keeps bleeping. Does anyone know what may be causing this?

It sounds like it is about to self destruct!
raziel_uk 17 4.9k
2 Sep 2005 11:40PM
I think you need to give us a bit more information.

Are you sure you haven't left a floppy disk in the disk drive?

Does the computer actually start up and go into windows or does it just sit there beeping with a blank screen and not appearing to do anything?

Ashley
stuwhitt Plus
17 1.4k United Kingdom
2 Sep 2005 11:46PM
Hi Laura

Is there a key stuck down or something resting on your keyboard?

The beeps may well indicate that all is not well with your PC here is a link to a site that may well help you interpret what to look for,
3 Sep 2005 12:22AM
Hi

disk drives and floppy drives are all empty. All the keys appear to be ok on the keyboard and the pc is working fine.

When I first turn the pc on all is quiet until it gets to the windows screen.
bppowell 20 2.2k 2 England
3 Sep 2005 12:30AM
Beeps are there to warn you there was a problem found during the POST/BIOS tests at startup.

What is causing the problem depends on the number of beeps. I am going from memory now so could be wrong but it is something like 2 beeps = memory, 3 beeps = monitor/video card ect...

Have you moved the PC at all ?, check that nothing has come loose, open the case and push everything back into their slots.

Barry
Big Bri 20 16.7k United Kingdom
3 Sep 2005 12:38AM
Does the machine actually work ? Mine beeps at me at startup if I have any USB 1 devices plugged into my USB2 ports..
3 Sep 2005 12:48AM
everything is working it bleeps every second.
dwjones 17 232 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2005 12:52AM
Do you happen to have a battery powered wireless mouse/keyboard ??
My PC beeps when the mouse battery is running low.
stuwhitt Plus
17 1.4k United Kingdom
3 Sep 2005 12:54AM
Still sounds like an error message to me, it may be worthwhile opening it up and ensuring that all the cards and memory are properly seated and any cooling fans are working, either that or there may be a fault on your keyboard or mouse

Stu
3 Sep 2005 1:07AM
Thanks for your help, I am going to switch if off and have a look inside......gulp!

I will let you know the outcome.
UserRemoved 17 6.2k 1
3 Sep 2005 3:32AM
Could be overheat warning, found on some motherboards - might want to check that processor fan is OK (they do tend to fail, depending on type)
Nick_Hilton 16 599 2 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2005 5:04AM
There is a good chance the fan fail alarm is on in the BIOS. Check your processor fan is turning then just switch the alarm off in the Bios. Mine bleeps all the time unless I have it swtched off due the the fan not having a 3rd wire for detection

Nick
3 Sep 2005 5:17AM
Doh! how stupid am I!! I forgot that I had my corded keyboard plugged in as well as my cordless one. The corded one was under my desk and a book had fallen on to it!

Needless to say I have now disconnected it.

Thanks for all your help, sorry I wasted your time.
UserRemoved 17 6.2k 1
3 Sep 2005 5:22AM
LOL! Well, we didn't suggest that one! Will make a note:check that there isn't 2nd keyboard with book on top Smile
Tooth 16 5.8k 227 Ireland
3 Sep 2005 6:07AM
Just read this thread with intrigue -superb ending, thanks for the entertainment LOL

Stephen

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.