Get 20% Off PortraitPro 22 With Our Exclusive Code

Bloody Bureaucracy!

croberts 17 2.2k 8 Ireland
6 Mar 2006 4:52AM
wear a funny hat, and a loud hawaiian shirt, with shorts and white trainers. You could take pics of anything, then.
elowes 17 2.8k United Kingdom
6 Mar 2006 5:50AM
A little tale:

My wife and I stayed in a top London hotel a while ago. Part of the stay was as a result of a prize. When we were presented with the bill it was made out wrongly and they were over charging us by 400!! It should have been about 185 for the extra time plus drinks etc. I was a little put out to say the least!

I stayed out of the way while my wife politely explained things, the manager was called, apologies all round. They charged us 70, way more than 100 less than the bill should have been 'for the inconvenience caused'.

No point in getting angry with 'jobsworths', they are doing a job, following directions given to them by the employer. If you have a complaint write to their boss, speak to the manger, do something positive.

Of course it is easier to take it out on the minions and rant about it later.

I worked for many years in a position where I had quite a lot of power to make my own decisions. Nothing gave me greater pleasure than thwarting pompous and arrogant people who had difficulty in being polite and pleasant but came in demanding I did what they wanted. I nearly always won and when I didn't it was them who had the hard work to do to make a complaint about how I was rude when they were unreasonably demanding. I had a few rollickings but that was OK, never made any difference on pay day.

You can see I have little sympathy. Be polite and reasonable. Remember many 'jobsworths' are doing jobs many people would not want to do and for little more than minimum wages.
tepot 17 4.4k United Kingdom
6 Mar 2006 6:03AM
and besides you catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar Wink
tepot 17 4.4k United Kingdom
6 Mar 2006 6:06AM

Quote:As far as I'm concerned these objects are part of the History of Leigh and as such belong to the people of Leigh. Why the HELL should I be writting for permission to some Jobsworthy in Wigan

exactly Dave...why did you even ask?
6 Mar 2006 8:57AM
I know this is on a slightly different scale, but when we lived in England, I once was looking for a wedding album for someone else. I walked in, saw what I thought she would like, and asked the sales clerk at her desk if I could take a photo of the album to show and she said it would be fine. Well, that's not what the security guard thought. Flexing his jaw muscles at me, he told me I wasn't allowed to do that. I obviously pointed out that I had received permission from a member of staff. He couldn't say a thing. He also couldn't make me remove the photos from my camera. I had a very similar situation here in the States when photographing a building from the street. They said they were worried because of security (I had my toddler son in his stroller with me). But again, they couldn't remove my photos. I guess what I'm trying to say is take your photos, discreetly, and if they approach you, apologize and be on your way. And I'm sure we'd all love to see the results.
Good luck.
Sarah
c_evans99 18 7.0k 1 Wales
6 Mar 2006 9:28AM
Not a photography story but... where I used to live at home I used to walk to the bus stop down a rough path, it did however have a streetlamp shining on it... our council decided that it would be better if there were steps so they built some substantial concrete steps but to do this they had to remove the lamp post... the result was a spate of injuries, but we were told there was no money available for a new lamp post... a couple of locals took the initiative and marked the edge of each step with white paint so you could at least see something... the council sent a work gang out and overpainted the white with black...
Hot_Fuzz 17 121
7 Mar 2006 4:25AM
a couple of locals took the initiative and marked the edge of each step with white paint so you could at least see something... the council sent a work gang out and overpainted the white with black.

Lol,, Yeah that sounds about right for a local council!!..
conrad 17 10.9k 116
7 Mar 2006 4:29AM
Sometimes I think a photographer's motto should be something along the lines of "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission"...

Conrad
macroman 18 15.3k England
7 Mar 2006 4:47AM

Quote:And besides you catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar Wink

Yep!

Very true, Tepot, but you also get the wasps and hornets and other nasties joining in.

LoL

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.