Nik Collection 2018 by DxO - FREE with selected X-Rite products!

blue cast when scanning colour negs with coolscan V

ihana 15 12 Switzerland
14 Jan 2006 8:45AM
Hi,

I've just bought a Nikon Coolscan V ED. I've put in a few neg strips and they've all got a blue cast.
I've read on the web that this is due to the film being made with orange material but the Nikon brochure claims that it scans negs immediately without blue cast.
I've tried sRGB, Adobe RGB and Scanner RGB so far with no difference, all are blue.
In a search through forums I see that everybody is happy with this scanner and nobody has mentioned this blue cast.
How do I make scans without it - its a pain to have to fiddle with the colour sliders each time...

thanks,

Tom
www.ihana.com

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KatieR 15 6.2k 6
14 Jan 2006 8:54AM
I have a Nikon Coolscan 5000ED which is fairly similar. I had few problems on installing it, but not with colour cast.

I assume that you are using Nikon Scan (4.0?) software.
Have you checked and re-checked the scan settings on the left hand side - you are using "neg color", aren't you.

Is your monitor calibrated?

Do you have any slides that you could try? It might tell you something more.

I'm no expert - so wait for some more replies. They'll come along eventually!
ihana 15 12 Switzerland
14 Jan 2006 9:32AM
Hi,
Using 4.0.2 software, set to colour neg. Monitor not calibrated but I have prints and scans made at print time of these same negs so I know what they're supposed to look like. Anyway, the blue cast is huge. I used photoshop and followed the instructions here :- http://computer-darkroom.com/tutorials/tutorial_6_1.htm
and its helped a lot but this was written in 2003, surely the scanner can scan the negs 1st time round now in 2006?
I'm using Fuji Reala 35mm. No slides.

hopefully its an easy solution...

cheers,

Tom
KatieR 15 6.2k 6
14 Jan 2006 9:36AM
Ok, well I scan Reala too, so it's not that.
I can't work out why it would cast so badly, unless it's a dud machine. That's always a possibility.

I get a rather dark result, often, but that is to do with the difference between the scanner setting/ software and an old, uncalibrated monitor, so I can't really complain.

Sorry I can't help more at the moment. Someone else may be able to offer more advice.
ihana 15 12 Switzerland
15 Jan 2006 10:37AM
I've now scanned about 10 negs and the worst culprits for the blue cast are actually improving...wierd but maybe its sorting itself out?! Damn compooters....
I emailed Nikon so I'll wait to see what they say tomorrow.

Tom

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.