Blurb Quality

779HOB 7 1.2k United Kingdom
14 Jun 2012 11:25AM
I was wondering if anyone has had a Blurb book printed recently and if you could tell me what your thoughts are on the quality. I had one done a few years ago and wasn’t that impressed but that might well have been down to my image files rather than the printing. I am thinking of doing another using the premium matt finished paper. So was just looking for someone who had recently done one who might be able to give some advise.

Thanks.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Phillbri 18 116 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2012 11:55AM
Hi, I have had 4 Blurb books printed over the last 2years (now working on my 5th) and have always been pleased with the results and the service from Blurb. I have always paid a little extra to upgrade to a better grade of paper.
14 Jun 2012 12:09PM

Quote:upgrade to a better grade of paper.

Thanks, which paper did you upgrade too?
derekhansen 11 210 24 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2012 12:30PM
I had a book printed last year and was very happy with the quality. I think I used a lustre finish paper.
14 Jun 2012 12:41PM
Is the lustre very glossy?
LesF 13 182 9
14 Jun 2012 12:46PM
Had one done myself recently with the matt premium, very pleased with the quality
14 Jun 2012 1:04PM

Quote:Had one done myself recently with the matt premium, very pleased with the quality

That's good to hear - thanks.
rossd 16 1.1k England
14 Jun 2012 2:45PM

Quote:That's good to hear - thanks.

Ditto - I ordered 2 books from Blurb a couple of days ago so the above comments are very encouragingSmile

(Bit pricey though IMO)
14 Jun 2012 3:06PM

Quote:(Bit pricey though IMO)

Yep, not really good for resale I don't think unless you are happy to only add a few pounds for profit.
puertouk 8 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2012 4:30PM
Go for the best quality, as I have had work through them and I was not impressed with the finished article. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
Stephen
14 Jun 2012 5:05PM

Quote:Go for the best quality

By that do you mean the Pearl (ProLine) paper? I have read that many photogrpahers don't like this paper becasue of the way the ink drys it doens't reproduce well.
wicksy 13 79 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2012 8:37PM
i used the proline pearl for a book of black and white portraits i had printed for my A level exam piece. I was pleased with it but did feel there could have been a greater range in the dark tones with some of my subjects.
digicammad 16 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
15 Jun 2012 8:38AM

Quote:Bit pricey though IMO

I'm surprised to see that comment, I thought they were extremely good value. I got a wedding album printed, with image wrap, upgraded paper and 120 pages, all for around the £100 mark. When I was researching it other companies seemed to be coming in at way more than that.

By the way the quality was excellent and the B&G were absolutely thrilled with it.

Ian
15 Jun 2012 11:00AM

Quote:I'm surprised to see that comment, I thought they were extremely good value. I got a wedding album printed, with image wrap, upgraded paper and 120 pages, all for around the £100 mark. When I was researching it other companies seemed to be coming in at way more than that.

I think they are good value as long as you are not planning on resale or are happy to only make a couple pounds on each book.

Quote:i used the proline pearl for a book of black and white portraits i had printed for my A level exam piece. I was pleased with it but did feel there could have been a greater range in the dark tones with some of my subjects.

I think this was part of the problem reported with using the Proline paper. I guess it wil be differnet for everyone to some extent.
Just Jas 17 26.3k 1 England
15 Jun 2012 11:21AM

Quote:By the way the quality was excellent and the B&G were absolutely thrilled with it.

Which is what counts.

Despite what some might say here regarding clients understanding or appreciation of quality.

If you sell the clients a 'better' album you can make more money - well, maybe nicer for the photographer - maybe not quite so for the client?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.