Panasonic 'Nature' Competition - Win A LUMIX FZ1000 II!

Boris, the Mills and Boon photo

25 Jun 2019 12:46PM
OK, let's not drift into politics OK!

However, taken on a mobile phone by a passer-by? Nobody knows when it was taken, what looks like a Lightroom Vignette No2, suspiciously mid to telephoto lens perspective, not the wide angle of a phone's lens. What happened to the EXIF data off the phone including location? If it's a 'real camera' that will tell you what it was taken on, what lens etc. Might even have the author in there.

It just seems odd that a 'supporter' has tried to explain its origins, without thinking that it might not add up.

OK, replies limited to the photographic aspects of the picture only, and the way it got into circulation, not a Brexit/Booking Boris thread.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_L 5 5.0k United Kingdom
25 Jun 2019 2:30PM

Quote:However, taken on a mobile phone by a passer-by?

In the Mail's article, the photos apparently exclusive to MailOnline, I can't see that they say the images were taken on a phone. They do mention paparazzi. Who has said they were taken on a phone?

It's all very odd and sounds set up but I didn't see the phone claim. As for EXIF data, it gets stripped by many websites when uploaded. Nothing suspicious about that not being there. Nothing to stop it being faked anyway.
spaceman 15 5.3k 3 Wales
25 Jun 2019 3:44PM
The length of his hair suggests it's an older picture.
25 Jun 2019 6:28PM
EXIF, indeed that and IPTC standard captions often vanish with a Save As.
brian1208 Plus
16 11.5k 12 United Kingdom
25 Jun 2019 10:27PM
As we all know, the camera never lies (but reporters and the media in general are not averse to doing so if there is a good story available or can be constructed)
25 Jun 2019 10:40PM
Yes, yes of course they do.

The origins of the picture seem unduly shrouded in mystery, although Mail Online isn't always a bastion of accuracy, one of my recent stories went a bit wonky after they got hold of it.

https://www.nuj.org.uk/about/nuj-code/
26 Jun 2019 8:50AM

Quote:The origins of the picture seem unduly shrouded in mystery, although Mail Online isn't always a bastion of accuracy
Accurate about what? They've never made a claim of how it was taken or even speculated. You've posted reasons you don't think it was taken on a phone, what makes you think anyone is claiming that it was? You could post reasons you think it wasn't a Polaroid. I don't get where you are coming from?

It's fishy, it's probably originated from a Boris-friendly pap or paper, hoping that people they wanted to influence would assume it was a recent photo of the couple. I don't get the stuff about there being no EXIF as if that was part of a conspiracy. How many news images still have EXIF, location and IPTC data embedded when published on the web? Your link doesn't mention you or the Mail?
26 Jun 2019 10:10AM
It’s just a smokescreen to stop you talking about the real issues of Johnson’s bid to be PM. While you’re talking about this picture, the real issues get side-stepped - you’’be even said yourself that you don’t want this to be about politics - but it IS about politics.
Carabosse 16 41.2k 270 England
26 Jun 2019 12:46PM
You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to deduce the photo was taken before Boris's contretemps with his current girfriend.Wink

26 Jun 2019 1:35PM
Indeed. I am intrigued by the mystery surrounding its origins.

I know that all the EXIF info doesn't make at through the web publishing system, that it's editable, that it may never have had an IPTC caption added.

However, I would suspect that even in these short staffed days a picture desk would query a picture with no details. They need to have some details to put them into the system

Maybe the source field said PR Handout?
26 Jun 2019 4:17PM

Quote:However, I would suspect that even in these short staffed days a picture desk would query a picture with no details. They need to have some details to put them into the system

No they do not. Text them a photo of something newsworthy and they will publish it.

Are you just making stuff up for a laugh Phil? Look at what else you have been saying:

Quote:suspiciously mid to telephoto lens perspective, not the wide angle of a phone's lens
So what who is making claims that it was taken on a phone, you are the only person I've seen who says that?

Quote:It just seems odd that a 'supporter' has tried to explain its origins, without thinking that it might not add up.
Where Phil?

Quote:Mail Online isn't always a bastion of accuracy, one of my recent stories went a bit wonky after they got hold of it. https://www.nuj.org.uk/about/nuj-code/
No mention of you or MailOnline on the union's website Phil, what on Earth are you going on about?

26 Jun 2019 5:16PM
The comment by a poster that journalists are supposed to be liars?

The NUJ web site has their code of ethics on it. Hope that clears it up.
26 Jun 2019 10:25PM
You managed to answer one of four questions. Pot, kettle.
26 Jun 2019 10:32PM
Not quite sure why Chris has decided to have a go at me personally.

Can we get back to the question of the provenance of the picture? Was it just Metro that ran the photo with a vignette?
I'm not averse to sticking one on on news pics for effect, but it looks odd on this as a pap shot. Maybe he used the wrong lens hood😀
26 Jun 2019 10:41PM

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.