Exclusive ePHOTOzine offer - 20% off Mistubishi CP-M15E Bundle!

Borough cemetery, Whitton

cats_123 Plus
16 5.0k 30 Northern Ireland
10 Aug 2020 11:31AM
Hi everyone....

A strange request....does anyone live close to Borough cemetery, Powder mill lane, Whitton??

My wife is doing some genealogy research on her Grandmother. We have identified the grave (have plot, number and even have a layout plan) but would really like to see what inscription there is?

As we live in Northern Ireland it would take a flight for us to get there...which we can do, but obviously that would be an expensive trip.

If anyone could just take a few photos for us we would be very grateful

Kind regards
Jeff

11 Aug 2020 11:42AM
I wonder, if no-one does live nearby (I used to but long ago moved to Dorset), if the caretaker of the cemetery could help you? I believe all cemeterys, have a caretaker, or even a team in a big cemetery, and even if they are not there all day they will still go morning and evening to lock up, and could receive mail then. It may well depend on the caretaker as to whether s/he might like to have an interesting little job to do or not. But one word of warning - if this is your wife's grandmother the grave is going to be pretty old and the actual writing may be very faint or even non-existent.
cats_123 Plus
11 Aug 2020 12:33PM

Quote:I wonder, if no-one does live nearby (I used to but long ago moved to Dorset), if the caretaker of the cemetery could help you? I believe all cemeterys, have a caretaker, or even a team in a big cemetery, and even if they are not there all day they will still go morning and evening to lock up, and could receive mail then. It may well depend on the caretaker as to whether s/he might like to have an interesting little job to do or not. But one word of warning - if this is your wife's grandmother the grave is going to be pretty old and the actual writing may be very faint or even non-existent.
thanks for the feedback...it's an idea. Much appreciated Jeff 😁
mrswoolybill Plus
13 2.3k 2265 United Kingdom
11 Aug 2020 2:08PM
The caretaker suggestion is good! So far as practicalities are concerned, it looks as though the cemetery is owned and run by Hounslow Council, I would suggest writing to the Clerk to the Council. At any rate that's who would initially deal with such a request in our town...
cats_123 Plus
11 Aug 2020 2:24PM
Thanks, Moira...one of the nearby councils was very helpful in locating where she was buried.. giving us place and plot number... we will explore a few more options 😁

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.