Start your photography store - 30% off Picfair Plus!

Boxing Event

johnmac 8 141
1 Jul 2015 8:39PM
Hi

I was invited to a boxing event not as the main photographer but to simply take as many photos as I wanted and was able to stand ringside.
My camera is a D700 and D7200 using a 50mm f1.8 lens. I put my D700 ISO 6400 f2.8 and with no flash, the shutter speed I was getting varied up to 250. I didn't want to go above ISO 6400 in case the photos came out too poor to edit the noise out also the lighting wasn't too good, I do shoot in RAW. When viewing my photos on the monitor they were quite good but what I did find is where I focused on the boxer facing me using AFC d9, maximum shutter speed was quite sharp but his opponent wasn't as sharp as I had liked.

I did swap for my D7200 with 50mm but was at times too close so switched back to D700

Any advice on what settings would improve the quality of all round sharpness and would it be better to shoot in RAW or jpeg?133327_1435779575.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 4 1.0k United Kingdom
1 Jul 2015 9:12PM
Why a 50mm I would use a short zoom, I prefer the 24-120, however I assume that you only used ONE focus point, I never have and never will use more and I shoot sport for a living

I would also have chosen jpeg and shot at up to 12000 with no problems using community edition noisware to remove noise
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
1 Jul 2015 9:45PM
You're shooting at 2.8, so your optimum area of focus is very narrow. You're never going to get the same sharpness across separate planes and neither will anybody else.

The shutter speed you obtained is not enough to completely freeze the movement, you can see the difference in the lower and static lower body of the boxer in blue against his upper body being moved by the smack in the mouth. You may, however, like to show that movement.

I'd stick with raw. I shot tennis for many years using raw and Lightroom will make an excellent job of taking the noise down. Up the ISO To whatever level you need to achieve the shutter speed you want and don't be afraid of some noise. It's a gritty sport you're shooting, a bit of noise won't do any damage.
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
2 Jul 2015 7:23AM
Is that Paul Morgan in the red?Wink
2 Jul 2015 10:01AM
The image looks good. While employing no flash I doubt it would be possible to freeze the motion of an impact - the speed would be too great. In a way it works as it is. Now - RAW or JPG? I'd say JPG. Even if I use RAW most time in this particular case one will need to shoot series, and enthusiast cameras have a buffer too small for the purpose. 3-5 images - and you will be waiting for a while for the camera to "wake up".

In terms of image quality loss will be negligible. At high ISO the adjustments diapason gets very narrow and the noise will be prominent. Set the camera to minimal noise management to help you dealing with the noise and do your bit of editing later.
mikehit 9 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
2 Jul 2015 10:59AM
One thing you can try is deliberate underexposure - you can use this to either get a faster shutter speed or a narrower aperture for more DOF. If you set to aperture priority and underexpose by 2 to 3 stops, you can work from there. The dynamic range of the Nikon is so good you can recover the exposure in post processing with barely any colour shift - but you must work in raw for best image quality.

A buffer of 3-5 mages is no problem IMO because that is nearly a second of shooting time and if you learn the sport well enough you will be able to predict it fair bit anyway so y ou are working round your chosen shot rather than firing off hoping you get something in there.
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
2 Jul 2015 11:59AM
Good points although boxing is one of the hardest sports to predict a shot happening. If the bloke flat on his back didn't see it coming, neither will you Wink
mikehit 9 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
2 Jul 2015 12:40PM
That is true, but the experienced ringside watcher will have a much better idea of how a skirmish is developing and maximise their chances - it isn't so much about getting the decisive KO punch (great though it would be to get it), as getting a good photo.
danbrann 14 640 17
2 Jul 2015 4:11PM
Why not use a bit of fill flash.The boxers have more to worry about than a flash gun.Lighting is everything. One night you are doing a televised fight and there is loads of light the next night maybe a dimly lit church hall.

I always used 1/250th sec at F4 with some fill flash and generally used a 50mm standard lens but of course now there are many medium zooms available.
johnmac 8 141
3 Jul 2015 7:31PM
Thanks all for your advice it's given me something to think about and try. As for flash, flash wasn't allowed the referee asked the PA chap to ask people not to use flash using their camera phones

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.