Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Bramblings etc

tomcat 15 6.4k 15 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2007 2:30PM
Having browsed the gallery tags I have noticed there are only a few photographs of Bramblings and all but one(taken By Kev Lewis) were taken by Pauline Jackson
Tried out a new hide location this morning at Brixworth Park(Southern end of Pitsford Water) where Bramblings and Greenfinches were numerous and reasonably easy to nail
Thought this information might be of use to anyone within easy distance of the place

Cheers
Adrian
Ade_Osman 17 4.5k 36 England
14 Jan 2007 5:44PM
Well I ain't clicking on any of your work from now on Adrian.....PAH!

Ade :-(
14 Jan 2007 6:32PM
You wouldn't believe it Ade
A very good mate of mine who is a very, very experienced angler mentioned it to me over the X-mas hols
I know the location but never realised there was a hide and feeders there(he was there just for a stroll with his family)
Got up this morning at 5-45am to take Mrs T to work(bless her)...the weather was good...so dragged the young 'un off with me for a few hours to reccy the place
After parking up decided to see what was on offer when we bumped into a couple of twitchers...A very brief conversation enlightened us as to where the hide location was but............."we are off to see the Bramblings"
And how true they were..I would say at a rough guess they were split 50/50 beteween them and the chaffinches
Could not believe my luck

The only downside is that it needs to be an early morning thing as the hide faces South

Cheers
Adrian
Ade_Osman 17 4.5k 36 England
14 Jan 2007 6:39PM
It's always the way, Adrian.....Anyways, just for you I uploaded one for you to look at tonight....LOL

Ade
bppowell 19 2.2k 2 England
14 Jan 2007 8:50PM
Thanks for the tip Adrian I will have to pay a visit, this is another bird I have never seen.

What the walk like from the car park to the hide, it is not shown on the site.

Barry
cameraman 18 227 1 England
14 Jan 2007 11:07PM
Thanks for this info, Adrian. I live not too far away in Milton Keynes so I hope to pay a visit next Thursday.

How close to the hide were the birds? And is the hide open all of the time or does it have restricted access?

Michael.
15 Jan 2007 8:23AM
To Barry & Michael
The hide is about 5 mins walk from the carpark(£2-00 per day)
As far as I am aware if the park facilities are open(Toilets shop etc) then the hide will be unlocked...might be worth a telephone call to confirm
Might also be worth taking a bag of seed to put on the tables
I even thought after yesterdays visit about laying a small branch against one of the tables to get a more natural shot though the existing bushes/trees are only just behind the feeders and tables
Apart from a disabled section(which I used) all of the hide flaps have fixed seating so a tripod might be difficult...a fold away chair might not be a bad idea as well to prevent stooping for long periods
Due to its location there is also an abundance of water fowl in the vicinity

Hope this helps

Adrian

Ps...The hide has the normal selection of Tits Chaffinches etc plus the odd Great Spotted at times(so I was informed)
cameraman 18 227 1 England
15 Jan 2007 2:16PM
Thanks, Adrian, most helpful.

Michael.
Dee_licious1 15 23 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2007 5:14PM
Hi Adrian,

this is great news for Chris and I as we are in Rugby and like to travel down to Pitsford Water a few times during the year.

Out current favourite spot (or should I say mine!) is Coombe Abbey, Coventry - again £2 parking but got lots of woodland and a cracking little hide for normal birds but close to the heronry - only got a 300mm lens though so no good for me. The bird table is just a matter of feet from the hide and there is plenty of logs/twigs etc that the birds perch on before swooping in for a seed. Sat we saw a little deer come right up to the bird table! and yesterday a squirrel helped himself to some bird seed.

Dee

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.