The Totally Tamron Website Is Back! Visit Today For All Things Tamron

Britain the worst

Duncan_E 13 201 3 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2007 10:46AM
It has nothing to do with perception because we're not comparing things from yesteryear with how they are currently. I'd agree with you completely if that was the case. This story is comparing current stats between countries today, not how things used to be.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SuziBlue 17 16.2k 10 Scotland
14 Feb 2007 10:49AM
And until the early 60s (63? not sure) children were hardly considered important. It was only then that legislation was brought in to protect children against physical abuse, as the Children's Act wasn't broad enough. Up until then they hardly had a voice.
Hoffy 15 262 16 England
14 Feb 2007 11:06AM
I deal with children a lot and it is nothing to do with slums or housing estates.

I was sitting in my car outside the re-intergration house, this is where they now put children that cannot be controlled at school, you don't get expelled you get put here.

These two girls came down the street, both going to this place, they kicked dents in every car parked on the side of the street, they spat at an old lady who walked past them. When I asked why they did what they did, the first responce was so rude I will not type it, the second was that it was fun and we are bored.

These two girls are not from slums or poor housing but one is the daughter of a prominent government official and the second is the daughter of a local millinaire.

The big word is Bored. That is what the kids are. they are bored, you can give them everything but they are still bored.

If you have no money you cannot afford to do anything so you walk the streets, if you have money you get everything and then walk the streets. We have got into a circle that has been forming for many years and it is now coming to a head.

When I was a young man in the 60's and 70's you got into trouble, but it was dealt with, now it is incorrect to tell a child off.

The big thing in England when I was about 19 was what they called granny bashing, this is where thugs used to wait for older people to leave say the theatre and mug them, the police could not controll it, she the local people did and it was stopped. Do that today and you will go to jail and the granny bashers would walk free.

The values are the common ones, manners, politeness, respect, families.
culturedcanvas 14 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2007 11:10AM
I blame it on the parents ....
User_Removed 14 4.9k England
14 Feb 2007 11:13AM

Quote:It has nothing to do with perception because we're not comparing things from yesteryear

Everyone else is.
I haven't read /seen it... but
If 11-13 yr olds have been asked questions, then it's all about their perception.
If it's a collection of statistics, then it depends on the interpretation of the compilers.
Nothing is B&W nowadays.
Col
lobsterboy Plus
16 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2007 12:11PM

Quote:Nothing is B&W nowadays.

Quite a few of my photos are Wink
conrad 15 10.9k 116
14 Feb 2007 12:28PM

Quote:Nothing is B&W nowadays.

Quote:Quite a few of my photos are

And quite a few discussions on the forum as well... Wink
stolzy 14 3.8k 7
14 Feb 2007 2:57PM
Duncan_E 13 201 3 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2007 5:27PM
Col, I know people are comparing things now with how they were, but as stolzy has just pointed out, that wasn't what the original posting referred to, it was related to the unicef report that was then reported on bbc tv and radio this morning.

Mind you, i agree completely with Hoffy and this country really has gone down the toilet. I currently live on the edge of where private housing meets a council estate. There are some really decent people on the estate, but then there are others who's idea of childcare is to kick their 5-10 year olds out onto the streets while they go to the pub. It's nothing to do with poverty, it's to do with bringing up kids. A couple of months ago a gang of 10 of them gave me some abuse while i walking the dog. I told them where to go and when i got back to the house i found a brick through the rear window of my car, and three other cars had been vandalised. Despite the fact that i, and other people from the estate knew exactly who had done it, the police pathetically refused to take it further as they claimed there were no eye witnesses, even when one man said he told them that he saw the individual throwing the brick.
joolsb 15 27.1k 38 Switzerland
14 Feb 2007 5:40PM
Just to point up some of the differences, here in Switzerland (no. 6 on the list, btw) children are taught to be respectful to adults. When I am out walking in the neighbourhood, I often pass unaccompanied children and they always call out a respectful "GrŁezi" (equivalent of 'good day') despite the fact that I don't know them and they don't know me.

In Britain, you usually get a scowl - if you're lucky.
SuziBlue 17 16.2k 10 Scotland
14 Feb 2007 5:41PM
Attitudes towards children have changed a lot in the UK over the last few decades. These days people will quite openly disparage their children, call them millstones, treat them as nuisances, make them feel surplus to requirements, no matter if they come from sink estates or Millionaire's Row. Children remember that. To them, careless offhand jokes about how a parent would willingly sell them or 'get rid' of them for a few days go far deeper than most people imagine, even though the children themselves may not say anything. How can they challenge that. How easy is it for children to turn to the most important people in their lives, who have just been making fun of their intelligence or their looks or the simple fact of their being around and draining the household finances, and say, "do you really mean you don't want me?" They won't ask, because the answer might destroy everything they have.

The most important thing you do to help your children grow as people, is love them.
Kris_Dutson 17 8.2k 1 England
14 Feb 2007 6:21PM
Well said Sooz.

I'm not one of 'em - I can't begin to imagine how empty my life would be without my kids.
lobsterboy Plus
16 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2007 6:21PM

Quote:. To them, careless offhand jokes about how a parent would willingly sell them or 'get rid' of them for a few days go far deeper than most people imagine,

I'm not so sure it does that much harm, my parents often used to threaten putting me up for sale and it didn't do me any harm (well apart from that serial killer episode - but the doc says I'm over that).

It seems to me that we constantly provide kids with free choices and responsibility with little guidance. Yet adults seem happy to do anything they like without taking any responsibility for their actions.
Turning our kids in to adults & adults refusing to grow up is a recipe for disaster.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.