Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Broadband speed.

johnmw 17 53 United Kingdom
28 Nov 2010 11:37AM
My BT. internet connection speed is ridiculously slow typically 512kb I am thinking of changing to Talk Talk any comments would be helpful.
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
28 Nov 2010 11:41AM
I would say: Dont!
User_Removed 12 1.4k England
28 Nov 2010 11:45AM
It won't make any difference, other than in your pocket.
User_Removed 14 485 13 England
28 Nov 2010 11:59AM
i have no experience of ADSL broadband, as i am on cable, but i have never heard anything good about Talk Talk. Yet again last week they made a star apperance on BBCs Watchdog. Everything i have hear of Talk Talk is negative. I agree with Cole, Avoid. I disagree with Swwils, i think there will be a world of difference in the aggravation catagory alone
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
28 Nov 2010 12:10PM
Have you considered Virgin Media. I've always found their speed, reliability and customer service superb.
RogBrown 14 3.1k 10 England
28 Nov 2010 12:17PM
Well, sorry guys, but I've been with TalkTalk for a couple of years & before that, Tiscali, & never had any problems.
MarkBroughton 13 286 1 United Kingdom
28 Nov 2010 12:42PM
I was with Tiscali for years with no problems, but this year they cut my unlimited broadband to capped, and increased my monthly bill so i moved over to sky, for a full tv, broadband and phone package, I did what I needed to with Tiscali/Talk Talk with regards to cancelling and told them why, and they billed me nearly 300 for cancelling my 12 month contract that started in about 2006. Just a good job I cancelled the direct debit or they would have took it. It took a few weeks of me arguing with them and threatening with reporting them to make them cancel the charge. Would never use them again for their sly tactics of trying to get money out of a loyal customer who was with them before broadband even existed, i was on dial up with them in the early days. Not worth the grief in my eyes, choose someone else.
going_digital 10 204 England
28 Nov 2010 1:03PM
The first thing to do is determine what the source of the slow speed is, as you could easily switch providers and find no difference in speed. I would suggest taking the following action ...

Tests

1. Look at connection stats.

The first thing to do is to look at the connection information that will give you information about your line conditions and the actual speed that you are connected to the local exchange at. Assuming you are using an ADSL Router (not USB modem) then there will be some sort of admin interface, usually accessed using your web browser. In the routers admin pages you should find a section that shows you line stats that will list things like... Line attenuation, SNR Margin & Sync Speed. These figures will help understand the line conditions and indicate if there is any scope for improvement, post the figures here and I'll give you an idea of what they mean. The main one is the Sync speed, if for example the sync speed shows 800Kb then your 512k is probably about right but if it says 2000kb then it would imply that your connection is capable of higher speeds but your ISP is the bottle neck.

2. Master Socket Test
A significant amount of performance degradation is often caused by wiring/equipment installed in your house, it is not unusual for half of the possible bandwidth available on a line to be lost due to poor extension wiring, faulty equipment (looking at you sky boxes!) or bad filters. Most people will have a BT master socket that has a test socket in the back, the master socket is the first socket positioned where the wire from the street enters your house. The master socket should have The old T (Telecom) logo, BT Piper Logo or BT Openreach logo on it, and have a removable section on the front looking like this.
btmaster.jpg

Remove the two screws and the bottom half of the faceplate should come away from the box revealing a socket in the back. Plug a microfilter in to the test socket and connect your router and a phone to it. Now look at the stats again on your router and see if the sync speed has increased, in many cases you will see a significant improvement because you have disconnected all of your extensions by removing the faceplate.

Remedy

If you see an improvement with the above tests then you have a number of options...

1. Leave it like it.
Although probably not ideal for most, if you don't actually use your telephone extensions for anything then just leave them disconnected and use DECT cordless phones.

2. Fit a filtered faceplate
Most people have their master socket in a position that is not terribly useful so want at least one extension. To maintain the speed gains and still be able to keep your extensions then the best thing is to fit a filtered faceplate such as this http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php This basically replaces the old faceplate, just take the wires off the old one and put them on the new one.

3. Fit an I-Plate
If you are frightened of wires and the idea of swapping 3 wires from the old faceplate to a new one fills you with dread you can fit a BT I-Plate that fits into the test socket and your old faceplate fits on top. This will often give a performance boost but not as much as a filtered faceplate.

Other possibilities

Most providers are still using old ADSL services that are limited to 8Mb but many exchanges have been upgraded to provide ADSL 2+ broadband, among the most popular are Be https://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/homepage and o2 http://www.o2.co.uk/broadband/ If your connection speed is already 2Mb or higher then you are likely to see further improvements by upgrading to ADSL 2+. There is one exception to this however, demon internet have offered many of their customers upgrades to ADSL 2+ and their speeds have been worse than before because they have been put on a congested network as part of the 'upgrade'. If you have a line speed of 1Mb or less then an upgrade to ADSL 2+ will give little or no performance boost.
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
28 Nov 2010 3:32PM

Quote:It won't make any difference

What a fatuous comment.

So all the research carried out by Which? magazine is meaningless is it?

Darren's advice above is excellent as there are a myriad of reasons affecting speed which, if not addressed will make a huge difference.

But, when everything is correct, there remains the massive variances in the service providers products - and Cole's advice is very valid as Which? have Talk Talk nailed as one of the worst.
28 Nov 2010 4:51PM
Thanks for the comments so far, I am using BT Total Broadband Option 1 up to 20mb and a micro filter is being used.
lawbert 14 1.8k 15 England
28 Nov 2010 5:04PM

Quote: I am using BT Total Broadband Option 1 up to 20mb and a micro filter is being used.

I use BT and Live in a Village a long way from an exchange and Im getting on average 5.5mb download speed......

Give BT a call and let them know your problem and im sure there is something they can do to help improve your speed be it at thier end of the connection or your end.
going_digital 10 204 England
28 Nov 2010 5:22PM

Quote:a micro filter is being used.

You do have microfilters on ALL equipment connected to the line don't you ? That is all phones, answering machine, fax machine, sky boxes, extra ringers, and alarm systems that may be connected to the line.

If you have ANY equipment connected to the line that does not go through a filter it will severely impact performance and may kill your broadband completely.
28 Nov 2010 5:24PM
Talk talk operate on LLU's which are just BT lines from BT exchanges anyway most are even serviced by BT engineers. - as do most other ISP's.

If you can only get 512 kb connection, It won't matter which company you use because its your physical line attention that is the problem.

The best they can do would be to provide a ADSL2+ connection from your exchange (if it is enabled) , you will probably then get 1.5mbps max speed.

Obviously you can have a private line like virgin or smallworld if you are in a service area (you are probably not).
28 Nov 2010 5:31PM
Obviously this all forgoes idiot stuff like bad filters, split lines etc..

512kb is about average for a 5.5km exchange line on ASDL2+ looking at about 73db 300khz attenu.

If this is a recent speed reduce, take the normal action to check sync speed.
28 Nov 2010 5:53PM

Quote:a micro filter is being used.

You do have microfilters on ALL equipment connected to the line don't you ? That is all phones, answering machine, fax machine, sky boxes, extra ringers, and alarm systems that may be connected to the line.

If you have ANY equipment connected to the line that does not go through a filter it will severely impact performance and may kill your broadband completely.

yes i have microfilters on my phones.

Just found a map showing broadband speeds in my area, and there is a big variation ranging from 0.35 to 34.2Mb all on BT, option 2 and 3 show higher speed.
I think a phone call to BT might needed, thanks for the help.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.