Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Broadband speed.

Mayfly 15 485 2 United Kingdom
28 Nov 2010 6:06PM
Have similiar probs. 5k from the exchange 750k sync. BT fobbed me off again and again. I finally talked to an Openreach engineer who lives up the road from me. He told me that the houses in my street iare connected to the exchange via aluminium cable, not copper !

The answer to the slow speeds so regardless of changing supplier I would suffer the same speeds. As soon as my contract with BT ends I'm off the the cheapest supplier. It may be the same for you.

Kinda sucks that we have to pay the same as someone getting a 5meg connection....bloody annoying...
Nick_w 13 4.3k 99 England
28 Nov 2010 6:07PM
It depends on which local exchange you are wired back to. We have the same problem. A max of 512kbs more typically 200. Until past week we were at 20kbs until at long last bt admitted to a problem after ca 6 months.

Have a look at 3g tho if like us you will still have problems. Our local villages are looking at Rutland Telecom who are looking to put a fibre optic cable into a local exchange but the cost for the project is ca 150 k. I've heard Virgin are staring to show interest in small rural projects.
franken Plus
18 5.2k 4 United Kingdom
28 Nov 2010 6:07PM

Quote:Have you considered Virgin Media. I've always found their speed, reliability and customer service superb.

Been using them for years without a single problem.

Ken
samfurlong 15 2.5k United Kingdom
28 Nov 2010 6:09PM
I have to say that I use BT broadband (option 3 - supposedly upto 20 meg) and I am happy.
I have used BT for years, always had a really good reliable and fast service. I have moved house 3 times in the past 6 years and moving the service with them is excellent, totally hassle free and they even waived the 125 connection charge when I moved into my current house which did not have a BT line installed when I moved in.
I live in a really rural location now and I STILL get 12meg, sometimes dropping to 9 or 10 meg at peak times... not bad at all for a tiny little village out in the sticks.
My parents moved from BT a few years ago because it is somewhat more expensive than some other providers but they regretted it immediately. First they were with talktalk and the service was slow, often went down for hours on end and the email only camer through periodically, now they are with sky as part of a tv / phone / internet package which is better but by their own admission not a patch on BT still for speed, and reliability.
Photogeek 16 605 6 Wales
29 Nov 2010 11:52AM
If changing providers Can I recommed Plus .Net they really have been the best of a bad bunch for me. Although I'm with Virgin Media on Cable now and get some pretty impressive throughput . . . One thing I've discovered is that Virgin use the Blackpool Area for speed testing so often we get a bit more than the 10MB package I'm paying for

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1049730171.png
skeletor 17 1.7k England
29 Nov 2010 11:49PM

Quote:Well, sorry guys, but I've been with TalkTalk for a couple of years & before that, Tiscali, & never had any problems.

Quote:Been using them for years without a single problem.

Ken

I would have said the same thing about Orange...

until nearly 2 months ago!

Been with them for years... Freeserve - Wannadoo - Orange.
Never had a problem - reliable connection - good speed... until 2 months ago, when, one evening I couldn't get a connection.
It's taken them until today to restore my connection... 2 FRIGGIN' MONTHS!!!!
2 months of daily calls to India. The first month being repeatedly told to reset my router and check cables. Then, nearly a month of pleading with them to send an engineer.
Eventually, last week they agreed to send an engineer (BT) who ordered a "lift & shift"(?) at the exchange. Now all is fine...except, I will not be renewing my contract with Orange in 9 months.Tongue

My advice? Go with anyone, but...

DO NOT TOUCH ORANGE WITH A BARGEPOLE!!!
Hugo 16 649 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2010 12:02AM

Quote:Have similiar probs. 5k from the exchange 750k sync. BT fobbed me off again and again. I finally talked to an Openreach engineer who lives up the road from me. He told me that the houses in my street iare connected to the exchange via aluminium cable, not copper !

The answer to the slow speeds so regardless of changing supplier I would suffer the same speeds. As soon as my contract with BT ends I'm off the the cheapest supplier. It may be the same for you.

Kinda sucks that we have to pay the same as someone getting a 5meg connection....bloody annoying...

My parents live in a rural area, a fair distance from the exchange, aluminium cables, the end result being very poor broadband.
Anyone else offering broadband will be buying it from BT/Openreach (No cable here) - So will be just as bad.
I can't see BT digging up a lot of road for a few houses, it'd never pay back. Stuck with it then.
SophieHart 10 136 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2010 5:49AM
Will broadband speed one day make a difference to the value of your house?
Nick_w 13 4.3k 99 England
30 Nov 2010 10:25AM

Quote:Will broadband speed one day make a difference to the value of your house?

Already is.. We are on a very slow connection, on a local development the developers are looking to part finance the high speed connections to aid the marketing of their properties.
SophieHart 10 136 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2010 12:01PM
That is interesting. I wonder how long it will be before someone claims the difference in house value from BT. If a house is priced up the road higher because it has better broadband speed.
keith selmes 17 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2010 12:50PM
Perhaps broadband speed already does affect property prices.
I certainly would check broadband speeds and options for the post code before buying, and it would heavily influence my choice and the amount I would consider paying.
rhousham 14 435 United Kingdom
1 Dec 2010 3:45PM
Internet is a very weird beast.
Slow in some areas fast in others change you connection - could go fast could go slow.
I think looking at why it is slow is the right way to go.
Doing a trace route to the site you want to access is the first port of call - could just be the site.
Secondly we found changing to Googles DNS
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/
could be the way to go.

In the end what I don't understand is that it's all the same wiring why should my supplier have that much pull over the speed?
Richard
SlowSong Plus
12 9.6k 30 England
8 Dec 2010 6:30PM

Quote:I am thinking of changing to Talk Talk
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Don't do it.

I've had nothing but trouble with them for about 6-8 weeks. Intermittent, hopeless service. I'm using a Virgin dongle until I can get my internet/email sorted and am going over to Virgin cable next week.

PS: I must add that I'm not the only one suffering with TT. Just listen to the radio, read papers and look on the internet.
User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
8 Dec 2010 7:49PM
TalkTalk is absolutely superb.

Or, at least for me it is.

Until they took them over, I was with Tiscali for years, again thinking that they were pretty superb.

For a while I still paid my line rental to BT and paid Tiscali for my internet connection, first on a dial-up and then on ADSL Broadband.

Then Tiscali made me an offer I could not refuse - My line rental, all local, national and international calls (well most international calls - certainly all to Europe, North America and Australia, which were the only places I ever phoned) 24/7. None of this "evening and weekend" crap. Plus my Broadband at the highest speed my lines and exchange could provide (still provided by BT of course although I no longer pay anything to BT). All for 27 per month.

I just use a bog standard Belkin ADSL2+ Wireless G+MIMO router and my internet access and download speeds are very speedy. I would say that, almost without exception, I am getting speeds that are only constrained by the speed of the servers at the other end.

I have not seen any reduction in service since TalkTalk took over and they did notify an enhancement to the exchange (which to be honest I didn't notice) a few months ago.

I can't comment on the customer service of Tiscali/TalkTalk because I have never had to contact them in the 8 or 9 years that I have been using them.

I believe that I could get even faster with cable (and get my TV on it as well) but, as I live in a rural area with no cable, that's not an option.

So one vote (the only one?) for TalkTalk.
RogBrown 14 3.1k 10 England
8 Dec 2010 9:25PM
^^^
Same here.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.