50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Bronica ETRS shutter speed problem

collinf 18 1.2k
24 Sep 2003 8:57PM
Folks very very many thanks for all your help. With the help (?) of my college tutor, I suddenly remembered mad-dogs' suggestion about turn the lens a few times to try and "clean" the contacts. Well, I tried that and it seems to have worked!

I have a feeling that it hasn't worked properly since I bought it. I have never heard the second click (as the shutter closes) at slower shutter speeds. I think that the shots that I have managed to get right have been purely by luck rather than good measurement or technique.

So, I'm gonna finish the slide film and b&w from Stonehenge and then get them processed and see what happens. :o)

Thanks again!

Collin
a2jlp 18 165 Scotland
25 Sep 2003 11:32AM
Collin,

Sorry to hear about the problems you have been having and Im obviously concerned having sold you the gear in the first place! Colin, I tested all the equipment, all three lenses and the Metz flash too and they all worked fine prior to shipping this off to you. It definitely sounds like a problem with the body and my guess is the contacts on the body and not the lenses based on the information in this thread.

Contacts do oxidise after a time and thats why really expensive equipment usually has any electrical contacts gold plated to limit the oxidation process. You could try lightly scraping the body contacts with a sharpish metal object and I mean lightly, we are talking an extremely thin layer or coating preventing or hindering an electrical contact. If you dont have the confidence then yes, take it to a dealer and they will do the job for you.

On another front, its good advice to fire off the shutter on such equipment at least every 6 months if not in regular use. Do this at different shutter speeds and with all of your lenses.

I hope it is nothing more than oxidisation and that you get your gear back in full working order.

John
collinf 18 1.2k
25 Sep 2003 11:41AM
John - Thanks for your concern, and don't panic! I'm not too worried and I'm certainly not blaming anyone except my own ineptitude. Like I said, I got the lenses working properly (I think!) and I'll run a film through it over the weekend.

I think you are quite right, I think it is oxidisation on the contacts too. Of course I could just smear some vaseline liberally over the contacts! (I'm joking !!!!) I probably will take it to a dealer for a service, just to be on the safe side.

I've had some very good prints from it (some of which I have sold very enlarged reprints) so I know the camera is generally working fine. I just don't remember seeing the red light flash at the end of the exposure, or the second click on a slow expsoure.

Firing the shutter on the lens at least every six months is not something I need to consider: I seem to be shooting at least one roll a WEEK using all the lenses. The different masks and filters are certainly providing some entertaining effects! I've also just bought a 58mm adapter for the Cokin filter holder so I can use them on my Canon as well :o)

Thanks again for your concern and advice.

Collin
mad-dogs 18 2.2k England
25 Sep 2003 12:09PM
DO NOT SCRAPE THE CONTACTS WITH METAL - you will damage the coating and this will lead to corrosion.

Try a cotton bud dipped in some alcohol ( not beer! ) or a very small amount of metal polish. Rub very gently and wipe gently with a soft cloth afterwards.

Make sure that no strands of cotton or cloth remain on the contacts or in the body.
loweskid 19 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
25 Sep 2003 12:32PM
A agree with dave - the gold plating is extremely thin and I would avoid scraping with anything metal. I regularly clean the contacts on my SQ with a piece of cloth lightly moistened with methylated spirit, followed by a wipe over with a dry cloth. Surgical spirit is good too. There are various electrical contact cleaners available but be careful with these as some leave a thin deposit of lubricant which you certainly don't want on your lens.
collinf 18 1.2k
25 Sep 2003 12:47PM
Thanks guys. I've got some cotton buds, I'll get a small amount of meths on and clean the contacts that way first (drying with a soft cloth after of course).

May still get it serviced in the not too distant though.

a2jlp 18 165 Scotland
25 Sep 2003 4:32PM
Thanks loweskid and mad-dogs, yours is definitely the safer/better option and sound advice. I've never encountered such a problem with the Broni, but I'm always wary of fluids (even alcohol based) leaving a thin film residue. Metal polish acts like an abrasive so perhaps purpose designed electrical contact cleaner is the way to go?
loweskid 19 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
25 Sep 2003 5:28PM
Purpose electrical contact cleaners are designed to remove hard grease, oil, and umpteen other types of sh.. er stuff. They are a bit over the top for cameras, stick with something simple like meths. You only need the lightest sniff of it on a bit of cloth or cotton bud, certainly don't use enough to drip or run anywhere. You won't need to do this often, when I say I clean mine regularly I mean every six months or so (or even longer when I forget!).
stan walker 18 578
25 Sep 2003 5:56PM
Meths does leave a residue, pretty harmless tho. When I was earning a crust we had to use isopropyl alcohol on front silvered mirrors. It is what is reccomended for cd`s. Brasso is an abrasive do not go near it.
gma 18 166 United Kingdom
25 Sep 2003 8:43PM
One of the best and safest ways to clean this type of contact is to lightly rub with an ink eraser(the green ones) and then wipe off with a lint free cloth. This leaves no residue and removes most grime etc from contacts
pz 1
16 Jan 2021 11:36PM
This is how I solved it. The problem was the lens as others suggested. Remove the lens. Put the lens on a table with the back facing up. Squirt a small amount of contact cleaner into the two slots - the ones with red lines on the side - aimed towards the contacts. Wind and Release the lens manually several times - to release, gently press in the small indented lever on the side of the lens mount and push winding nobs away from the green dots, to wind, push the nobs back to green. Wind the lens and mount it on the camera. It worked for me, but it may not be a permanent solution .

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.