Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Building a Personal website - advice needed

Overread 13 4.1k 19 England
26 Apr 2015 5:11PM
Ok so I've had flickr for a long while as my main gallery where I show my photos and its worked well; however its not 100% suitable. For a start the link to it is a bit of a mouthfull of random numbers and letters- fine for a link but a fuss around for real world exchanges.

I've also had a couple of people show potential interest in future purchases (yes that kind of once in a blue moon kind of offer); but most non-photo people don't have a flickr so saying "look on flickr and send me a note isn't a good option either.

I've had a wordpress blog in the past and it was great for blogging style, but not really ideal for a gallery approach (unless one heavily modified it).

So I'm looking for a web-host (since I'm no coder) that would suit as a general gallery display which could at the very least allow for easy contact. I'm not totally looking at turning it into a business of any kind, however I know a good few of the web horses for photography oft have a built in shop-front style approach so I'd be curious to hear any of the ins and outs people have had.
StuartAt 16 1.1k 8 United Kingdom
26 Apr 2015 5:47PM
You could simply link a domain to your Flickr account, just by buying from 123reg.co.uk or similar and redirecting to your Flickr page. Alternatively there are a few providers like Foliopic, Clikpic and the like, that give you a template to work with and you simply put your pics on the site. If you are a 'Plus' member on here you get a Foliopic account for a year I believe... might be worth trying to see how you get on.
User_Removed 6 1.0k United Kingdom
26 Apr 2015 7:24PM
All of my sites are iPage (though I do pay as I use them as a business and need all the many extras)

Websites are drag and drop and FREE if you don't need many many pages or 1.50 a month including a free domain name

Click on the link on the bottom of one of my sites

www.jrs-photography.co.uk
lemmy 14 2.9k United Kingdom
27 Apr 2015 3:24PM

Quote:For a start the link to it is a bit of a mouthfull of random numbers and letters- fine for a link but a fuss around for real world exchanges.

Why not just get a short link from https://bitly.com/pages/tour ?
Rev2 11 302 2 England
27 Apr 2015 7:08PM

Quote:All of my sites are iPage (though I do pay as I use them as a business and need all the many extras)

Websites are drag and drop and FREE if you don't need many many pages or 1.50 a month including a free domain name

Jay zus, typo on the first page - I'm straight out of there, sorry.
User_Removed 6 1.0k United Kingdom
27 Apr 2015 7:41PM

Quote:
Quote:All of my sites are iPage (though I do pay as I use them as a business and need all the many extras)

Where
emils 6 4
7 May 2015 2:18PM
It really depends on your budget. If you want really good looking website and not to shell out big cash, I would say that best deal is to go for your own domain and hosting.

You can buy domain for about $10 on Godaddy (a year), about $10 for hosting on hostgator (monthly) and install WordPress. Setting up WordPress site is really easy and you have bunch of templates for it.

Hope that this helps...
arhb 14 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
7 May 2015 2:30PM
I heard about this yesterday which sounds interesting.
Haven't any experience with them, but the referrer was legit.
Pixelrights
EllyNellyPhant 6 104 1 South Africa
8 May 2015 10:48PM

Quote:
Quote:

Where

JRS Photography and imaging - in your heading - should be Imaging with a capital.
Fujiconvert 17 1.3k England
20 May 2015 5:33AM
You could do a lot worse than Squarespace Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.