Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 10 Ultimate

Burnt Fingers!

Maddie 15 2.7k 2 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2007 10:01PM
just wondering what you think.
just before xmas i bought my daughter an electric scooter,i put it in the garage until xmas eve,then went to charge the battery to find it was missing.

The first opening day after xmas i went to toy r us and they ordered me another battery, which i picked up on sunday just gone.

when i got it home to fix to the bike there were no wire connections on the battery to connect to the bike, so on monday i rang the manufacturers and explained the situation, they said they would post me the wires with the plastic connecter attached to fit on the scooter.

Today they arrived, so i put them on the battery but rang the manufacturers to check if i had done it right, they said no, so i removed one end from the battery and as i was doing the other end the middle connecter caught fire and melted the wires and burnt my finger, all this happened while i was still on the phone to them, i said i would need another connector and we ended the conversation.

later in the day they called me back and asked if i was ok and said they would send me another battery with the wires fitted, but they wanted me to send the burnt one back, which i was fine with.

now the events of the day have all sunk in, it makes me wonder if this should have happened in the first place.
does anyone know if this is a normal reaction to the wire being connected wrongly?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh 16 25.6k 33 Wallis And Futuna
25 Jan 2007 10:06PM
It's a reaction of the suppliers insurance company informing them that now would be a good time to **** themselves.
25 Jan 2007 10:09PM
lol Keith, not the fact that i got it wrong in the first place! i agreed to send the burnt wires back, should i? help me lol
Kris_Dutson 17 8.2k 1 England
25 Jan 2007 10:10PM
Chances are a battery powered ride on toy will draw a highish current so yes, a short could cause a meltdown.

But it does make me wonder if the wire was of a high enough rating.
Goatsmilkuk 15 783
25 Jan 2007 10:12PM
I would be tempted to hang onto the burnt one, sounds like they want to get rid of all evidence. After all it's them who forgot to supply the item ready for use, then to cut costs, got you to fit it yourself and you got injured in the process. Sounds like they are the ones on dodgy ground here.
25 Jan 2007 10:13PM
it wasnt plugged into the bike or mains but in went up in flames.
25 Jan 2007 10:17PM
It wouldn't need to be, shorting a battery can cause a meltdown. Sounds like the connector may be wired wrong.
Goatsmilkuk 15 783
25 Jan 2007 10:17PM

Quote:It wasnt plugged into the bike or mains but in went up in flames.

Would not need to be, a basic 12 volt bike has enough in it to start a fire as do many batteries, one of the reasons some batteries come with a cover on one or two terminals.
They should know this and either change the bike for one that's ready to use or send someone who is trained to swap the battery over and fit the missing leads.
Batteries can explode when shorted out.
25 Jan 2007 10:19PM
You're going to make her have kittens now.
25 Jan 2007 10:21PM
just had six!
Goatsmilkuk 15 783
25 Jan 2007 10:22PM
How will she cope with kittens, burnt fingers, and a child who just wants her bike to work? :-P

Maddie
I would be on the phone to a manager, and see what can be 'sorted' out if you get my drift, either that or get legal advice.

Scare them to death that would lol
25 Jan 2007 10:26PM
Or offer to go and rewire their office for them.

Wink
cameracat 16 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
25 Jan 2007 10:34PM
Sue them for all their worth OR all you can get out of them, You have 6 extra mouths to feed you'll need the extra cash for van loadsa Whiskers ( Kitten Mix )

(LOL)
25 Jan 2007 11:14PM
Maddie talk to your local Trading Standards office, they will give you the facts and advice on how to handle this.
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2007 11:30PM
I am not certain you could go to trading standards on this given the offer of adding bits etc. you will get into all sort of difficulties as it could be argued the product has been tampered with.

I would say take the lot to Toys R Us and ask for a replacement one complete with wires etc.

Reversing the connections could have caused some internal damage so I would go for new one.

Also it sounds like the connector and Battery have not been designed to prevent you reverse connecting it.

you have been very patient Maddie, but I think a replacement of the scooter is in order. and it is the retailers responsibility as the goods have never functioned or been fit for purpose.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.