Save 50% on Affinity software including Affinity Photo and Publisher! Use Code: AFFINITY-EPZ22

Buying a hassle from Warehouse Express

simont 18 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
12 Aug 2009 5:03PM
I had hassle with GAME just before Christmas. They took the order and payment but because I wasn't on the electoral roll (the wife had ticked some box or other) they refused to process the order.

I pointed out to them at the time it was a piss poor system and was losing them business and that there are other ways of checking - verified by visa etc, but they insisted the electoral register was the best way of proving I was who I said I was.

Ordered from Currys in the end, next day free delivery.
User_Removed 18 17.9k 8 Norway
12 Aug 2009 11:10PM

Quote:(the wife had ticked some box or other) they refused to process the order.

Have you corrected the error Simon?

Wink
rowarrior 14 4.4k 9 Scotland
12 Aug 2009 11:56PM

Quote:QuoteSadthe wife had ticked some box or other) they refused to process the order.

Have you corrected the error Simon?

Why wouldn't you want to opt out of the edited register, saves loads of junk etc landing through your door, plus a certain amount of identity protection
stolzy 16 3.8k 7
13 Aug 2009 7:07AM

Quote:100% Bang On Vince. I've been watching this thread with interest as I have had numerous dealings with this Company over the years and frankly, they are damned good in all respects - not least of which is their After-Sales Service.

Any Company will have Trading Terms & Conditions which will be adhered to if it is a reputable Company. They will expect those T's & C's to be understood and adhered to by you, the Customer.

If you can't meet the criteria then the issue is with you and not the Company - in their case, Warehouse Express.

Obviously the way to deal with it is to choose a different supplier. If, for example, WE impose more stringent security procedures than other and its not convenient for you, just go elsewhere.
It's easy to find suppliers which will accept cards without the hoop-jumping. Lets not forget that the stores are putting you to extra inconvenience for their benefit, not yours.
Anthony 20 5.7k 17 United Kingdom
13 Aug 2009 8:50AM

Quote:Lets not forget that the stores are putting you to extra inconvenience for their benefit, not yours

Unless its your stolen card that some "person" is trying to use to purchase some high value items. Smile

Anthony
stolzy 16 3.8k 7
13 Aug 2009 12:38PM

Quote:Unless its your stolen card that some "person" is trying to use to purchase some high value items.
My point exactly- if someon uses your card fraudulently, it's not your loss its the bank's and they will in turn chargeback the retailer.
The hoop-jumping is not for your benefit it is for the bank and the retailer.
Gep 13 37 United Kingdom
13 Aug 2009 1:04PM
So companies should accept credit cards from anyone who places a phone/web order and not give a damn about fraud? They shouldn't protect themselves? They should loose thousands (or even more) of pounds because people might get upset if asked to prove card ownership?

Don't forget it's not the retailers fault that credit card fraud is so rampant and they have to protect themselves, it's the scum bags who are stealing/cloning peoples cards.

And for the record I don't work for WE. But I have ordered of them before and was asked to prove card ownership, which I sent in without grumbling. Smile
Anthony 20 5.7k 17 United Kingdom
13 Aug 2009 1:34PM

Quote:it's not your loss its the bank's

ok, but then, how do the banks claw that cost back? (edit, sorry, you did say they will charge back the retailer, lol. So, in that case, the store has lost stock, they are out of pocket, which in turn means they have to charge more for their remaining stock?)

Fraud must cost an astronomical amount to the banks, I think its wrong to assume its not our responsibility to work with them to reduce this atrocious crime. No crime is victimless. If we can do something to help fight it, then we should, otherwise, does it not possibly make us just as bad as the buggers who are doing it? Or are we saying its ok? As long as its not us, but even if it is, im still not bothered about it?

Anthony
Just Jas Plus
20 26.4k 1 England
13 Aug 2009 2:30PM
Ultimately the consumer has to pay for everything.

However, if the load is spread over enough people.......
BIGHANNS 13 1 United Kingdom
13 Aug 2009 3:22PM
I am just about to purchase from them, so forarmed is forewarned
thank you.
Ray
Photogeek 17 605 6 Wales
13 Aug 2009 5:46PM
As someone said the bank will charge back the fraud to the retailer, and the retailer is out of pocket as 'someone' has the item, and they have no money . . . so they charge more to every one else to cover the fraudulent transaction that some make.
Just Jas Plus
20 26.4k 1 England
19 Aug 2009 10:15AM

Quote:Why wouldn't you want to opt out of the edited register, saves loads of junk etc landing through your door, plus a certain amount of identity protection

That is the intention but, sadly, not the realisation. Sad

Still, it satisfies the hunger of the 'Green Bin'. Smile
LloydB 16 1 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2009 3:56PM
I don't know what system WE uses but a lot of online retailers are using Credit card verification. A few months ago I tried purchasing something online (having previously signed up for verification a day or two before with another supplier). I tried using the password I signed up with (which I had carefully written down) only to find it was not being accepted. After a couple of attempts, so tried to alter my password (tried original one which it did not accept as already in use, which I knew) so made a new one, consequently it would not accept this so eventually gave up.

Went to garage to get petrol and on paying by debit card I had to speak on the phone with my bank, by this time a large queue had built up. I decided to go into my local branch to check all was alright only to find my account was still blocked. I was in there for at least half an hour sorting things out.

I have read so many reports online about the problems with card verification, I now try to avoid it (I had problems with another card so gave up immediately). if I can and use Paypal or not use verification. I know one large online firm refuses to use it, I think it could be Amazon (I stand to be corrected as I have a bad memory).

I am not sure if WE uses it but be aware if buying online, I could have had an ATM swallow my card if I used it whilst it had a block on my card and that would have taken days to get back to normal.
24 Sep 2009 12:21AM
Only today i have purchased a couple of items from WE for the first time, with my debit card and payment was verified.Now they have had my money hopefully goods will arrive tomorrow Smile
Will keep you posted!
User_Removed 18 17.9k 8 Norway
24 Sep 2009 3:32PM

Quote:I have read so many reports online about the problems with card verification, I now try to avoid it (I had problems with another card so gave up immediately). if I can and use Paypal or not use verification.

Agree 100%. Card verification is a nightmare.

I too have had huge problems when using these systems even though the data entered by me is correct. I now avoid it like the plague - and to the detriment of the vendor as I make a point of advising them that their payment system is in error and they are losing business.

That said - I have never had a single problem with WE. Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.