Buying Canon Lenses in America

sabretalon 15 1.9k United Kingdom
30 Jun 2004 9:07AM
When buying from abroad it is always a good idea to budget into the cost of the equipment the additional VAT etc.. If you are stopped then you did not know the procedure for such a thing and you pay up. If you are not stopped you face the dilema, do I pay up anyway or do I not pay up?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

UserRemoved 15 4.2k
30 Jun 2004 9:52AM
I used to travel away more than once a year with a load of camera gear.

Some countries exit customs were dodgy (Russia, Kenya) and would try to stiff you on customs charges leaving the country! (yeah like you were likely to get good camera gear in Kenya).

So I used to take a list of the gear with me and if possible get UK customs to stamp the list on the way out. This got over all such problems.

Now I just carry my insurance certificate with me which details all the major bits of kit.

As Barrie points out if you do get caught (and I have been stopped a couple of times - in particular coming back from Japan and the States with an obvious camera bag) then its up to you to prove you bought the stuff here. (and no having a receipt from 7dayshop or one from ebay hong kong importers doesnt count either).

It also depends on the UK airport - I've found Stansted, Gatwick and Manchester to be particularly 'investigative'
michaeldt 15 1.2k
30 Jun 2004 10:19AM
i suppose those little'uns have the time. heathrow tends to have a very wide and short passage that goes out from baggage collection to the airport. even at 5.00 am there are loads of people moving out....
srh 15 54 1 United Kingdom
30 Jun 2004 12:12PM
My original question was about compatibility issues with respect to whether the kit would work. I never said anything about sneaking kit through customs - don't even want to take my camera body with me. Even adding in import duty (about 6.7% I think and VAT - I had already budgeted for this) the lens will still work out to be a bargain when compared to UK prices (similar to what Barrie said in his original reply).

Simon.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.