Affinity Photo - professional photo editing with 50% off!

Calibrating

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
4 Nov 2017 1:13PM

Quote:Please Gentlemen, all I asked was a (well to me it was) simple question, I did not mean for WW111 to break out between members.
In simple terms am I ok in using the black and white target with a ruler set at 45deg to calibrate my Lens to Camera?
Many thanks Ray.

Yes Smile Make sure that the target is parallel to your sensor and that it is a good size, if including a ruler it may not give you a good indication to front or back focus (as has already been discussed).

There are ways to check if you have front or back focus issues, by manually focusing in Live View, not altering focus and switch to auto focus and initiate autofocus, if there is any movement of the focus scale then there is a possible issue and you can determine the direction you need to adjust.

There are a lot of differing ways to do calibration, i.e moire fringe, dot tune etc.

The important thing is not to get bogged down in technicalities (as we did here) and adopt a way of working that works for you.

The first (and probably most important step) is to ask yourself do I really need to calibrate my lens to my body, i.e is your lens/body combination really exhibiting a significant error.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Fma7 4 989 United Kingdom
4 Nov 2017 8:05PM

Quote:I used the Moire fringe technique that Keith Cooper explains on his excellent Northlight Images website here: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/camera-af-microadjustment/

Well what do you know? I've got epilepsy.
LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
5 Nov 2017 9:09AM

Quote:
In simple terms am I ok in using the black and white target with a ruler set at 45deg to calibrate my Lens to Camera?
Many thanks Ray.

If the angled ruler ruler is the target, no.
If the target is not a ruler and not first class for AF accuracy you may get an inaccurate reading.
A 45 degree ruler at the side of the target will not give an accurate indication if there is lens field curvature between the focus point and the ruler.
LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
5 Nov 2017 9:13AM

Quote:
There are ways to check if you have front or back focus issues, by manually focusing in Live View, not altering focus and switch to auto focus and initiate autofocus, if there is any movement of the focus scale then there is a possible issue and you can determine the direction you need to adjust.

This test and conclusion presupposes the test target should provide accurate focus for both phase detect and contrast detect for the camera system being used.
If not then no fine tune of fine tune in the opposite direction to the indication might be needed.
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
5 Nov 2017 10:23AM

Quote:
Quote:

This test and conclusion presupposes the test target should provide accurate focus for both phase detect and contrast detect for the camera system being used.
If not then no fine tune of fine tune in the opposite direction to the indication might be needed.

Give it a rest Len... it is getting very tiring, I was just explaining in simple terms one way to determine if you may have an issue with front/back focus using a target that is not angled... a suitable target is a prerequisite, I did not think at that point that I should state the obvious.
5 Nov 2017 10:41AM
Can I ask the moderators why my last comment was edited, does any mention of Hitler now get automatically get erased? Is the humour filter turned off, were you drunk.

saltireblue Plus
9 9.8k 36 Norway
5 Nov 2017 10:56AM

Quote:Can I ask the moderators why my last comment was edited, does any mention of Hitler now get automatically get erased? Is the humour filter turned off, were you drunk.

Questions regarding the actions of the Moderator Team should be dealt with by raising a ticket, not discussing the issue in the forums.
saltireblue Plus
9 9.8k 36 Norway
5 Nov 2017 10:57AM
This thread is becoming too focused on the posters and not the topic.
Please keep comments relevant and the comments on other posters friendly and polite
5 Nov 2017 8:17PM
Falafel