Calling all Jasc Paintshop Pro users

Paul_cats 13 61 22 Scotland
1 Mar 2008 8:28PM
Hi,
I recently uploaded a shot that was modified by another member. I sent him a PM asking him to explain what he did in greater detail because I liked the final result. He kindly replied but assumed that I was using PS whereas I am in fact using Jasc paintshop professional V7. I require some assistance in converting what he told me to do into PSP jargon. Heres what he said:

Open the original pic.
Create a duplicate layer (You can do this easily by dragging the original shot, in the layers palette, down to the new layer icon). Or Layer>Duplicate layer>OK

At the top of the layers palette, there are 3 tabs, Layer, Channel, Path. Make sure Layer is active.

At the top of the layer tab, there is a drop down menu for blending modes which will say NORMAL in the box.

Drop down the menu and select SCREEN.

This will now lighten the entire image. You can use the OPACITY slider to the right of the modes slider to vary the screening amount. You can use a mask to only apply lightening to some areas, and not others.

As an aside, the MULTIPLY blending mode does the opposite, - it darkens an image. Both techniques can be used to correct under and overexposed shots.

TIP: If you dont see a layers palette on the right of your screen, use WINDOW>WORKSPACE>DEFAULT, or WINDOW>LAYERS.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.
Regards
Paul

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cattyal Plus
14 8.9k 6 England
1 Mar 2008 8:48PM
Gosh - it's been a while since I used PSP7 (am using PSP12 now) but it should be a simple case of duplicating the layer - change the blend mode of that duplicated layer to screen and then adjusting the slider as you fancy on that layer. I don't think the layers pallet has changed too much since PSP7 but I may well be wrong.

As another aside - try using gaussian blur on that duplicated layer then turn it to negative and set the layer blend to soft light - that can produce some interesting results though probably more useful on building interiors and the like rather than birds!
1 Mar 2008 9:05PM
Thanks Alison
Guess I am a bit of a cheapskate not upgrading. Must consider forking out a little. Trouble is I'm spending too much on lenses and filters.LOL
Regards
Paul
cattyal Plus
14 8.9k 6 England
1 Mar 2008 9:13PM
Ah - tricky to choose where to bung your cash isn't it? Maybe just upgrade a little bit - I'm sure you could find a newer version cheaply?
cattyal Plus
14 8.9k 6 England
1 Mar 2008 9:26PM
Actually - now I've checked - I paid just under 40 for my copy of 12 via an Amazon seller - not bad really. Mind you, if PSP7 does the job then why change? Smile
JamesDurrant 12 10 England
1 Mar 2008 9:39PM
Check out the Corel Store, the upgrade to Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 was only 33.18 last week.( + shipping if you wanted the boxed version)
Jim
1 Mar 2008 9:56PM
Once again thanks for all your input. Not as expensive as I thought.
Paul
Tooth 14 5.8k 227 Ireland
2 Mar 2008 2:09PM
Going back on memory , as i'm on 11 now, try:
view- palettes - layers - to make sure the layers palette is visible.

Then layers - duplicate layer.

Now on the layers palette there will be two layers visible - the top one is the new one you've just created. there are then probably two things you need near the top of the palette - an opacity slider, and a drop down of blending modes. Choose the mode you want then adjust the opacity slider till you get the result you want.

When you're very sure you're happy you can merge them together (layers - merge). Just be careful to know, you can go back on the merge stage using the history palette, but only until you save it, after that it's permanently merged (unless you save it as a paintshop pro file rather than a TIFF or a Jpeg

If this doesn't work for you,you could try sending a PM to just jas as I'm pretty sure he's still on version 7-ish.

Good luck

Stephen

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.