Calling all X100F owners

KingBee Plus
14 542 2 Scotland
13 Sep 2020 2:03PM
I'm contemplating the purchase of a used X100F compact camera. In the course of my research into what makes this camera the little beauty that it is claimed to be, I've come across various horror stories on the 'Net about (a) wobbly/loose dioptre wheels (b) dust ingress via the dioptre wheel gap to the viewfinder (c) dust on the sensor arising from opening and closing the battery compartment door. What? In a fixed lens camera, especially one of this quality?

Have any owners of this camera had any experience of any of these reported issues, or is this, as is often the case, just so much cybercrap from disaffected buyers who are always looking for faults?

Any advice most welcome. Thanks.
milly123 10 95 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2020 3:06PM
I have had this camera for a couple of years, and I love it. I haven't experienced any of the 'horror' stories you describe but like anything that is physical and is manufactured, is mechanical and electrical there is always a percentage chance of things going wrong! Buying second hand increases that risk but life is short!

I have found that I needed Capture One to edit the files as I didn't like the skin tones from PS. Capture One offers a free, basic editing suite should you not want to purchase the 'full blown' version....
peterjones 18 5.1k 1 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2020 3:23PM
I have a pair of X100Fs which have been abroad with me in less extraordinary times; it is a highly
consummate street camera and thus far I have had no issues with mine after about eighteen months of regular use; why a pair? Because they are more than good enough to photograph a reportage wedding.

Herewith one of mine with an X100F:

2955_1600006775.jpg
Chrism8 13 957 27 England
13 Sep 2020 4:47PM
I've had an X100s for years with no issues, and its a great little camera Smile
KingBee Plus
14 542 2 Scotland
13 Sep 2020 4:53PM
Thanks for the input. That's all very reassuring.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.