Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Camara clubs

helenruss11 15 27
1 Oct 2006 9:43PM
I feel i have gone as far as i can "doing my own thing"

Do you think joining a camara club is of benefit ? (Was made to feel very stupid when previously joining one as i was frowned on using digital) and apparently "All real photographers use SLR"
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
1 Oct 2006 9:44PM

Quote:All real photographers use SLR

Well there's a crass attitude!!!!
Carabosse 18 41.7k 270 England
1 Oct 2006 9:49PM
My camera club is full of crass attitudes. I visit once every couple of years to see if those attitudes have changed.

They haven't yet!
twordley 15 360 England
1 Oct 2006 9:49PM
well if that was their attitude - i wouldn't be going back to that one

i think you can still learn loads on your own, eg start reading some of the workshops/techniques on this site

buy a couple of books and have a read

certainly recommend looking through the galleries looking at other peoples stuff and relevent comments.
randomrubble 17 3.1k 12 United Kingdom
1 Oct 2006 10:14PM
There are good and bad clubs. If you have more than one locally try another it'll probably have all the decent people that have been scared out of the other one!
joolsb 16 27.1k 38 Switzerland
2 Oct 2006 7:31AM
If you want to learn, go on one of the many workshops that are available. You'll learn far more than you ever would in a camera club and you'll be learning from seasoned pros - not from people who's only photographic aim in life is to win the next club competition.
MeanGreeny 16 3.7k England
2 Oct 2006 9:51AM
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2006 10:08AM
If you join a Club then you could meet some individuals you can bounce ideas off, have some interesting chats with and perhaps go on trips with. A bit like EPZ meets.

Alternativley some clubs will not include people that you get on with. you might see work that triggers ideas for you. But then EPZ might do that for you.

and the point made by Jools can be true. But then you get hunting for votes in here. A workshop or two can help a lot.
stix 16 924 87 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2006 11:03AM
Hi Helen
Looking at your profile, you are far too young for a camera club!
I belong to a camera club, but I have learnt far more on this site.

However I have found that my camera club is really good for making me print photos, I find during the summer when the club is closed, I hardly print anything.
Its good being forced to print for competitions.
The competitions are a great motivator for getting out there and taking shots. I also have to produce black and white, which I propbably wouldnt left to my own devices.
Its great fun to try and win competitions. Also we have an exihibtion once a year.

If anyone out there lives near Bromley in Kent, we are looking for new members, especially younger ones!

Martin
peterjones 19 5.2k 1 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2006 11:59AM
In many clubs you would be far and away the youngest member; it is also true to say that in some clubs members are more concerned with their equipment that with their pictures :-/

In my club we have members of all ages; quite a number of ladies; the membership couldn't give a stuff as to what equipment you wield; I don't know where you are but Amersham is an excellent club; I agree about the print competitions not only give you reasons to go out and get pictures but they also keep you sharp.

Rgds. Peter.
Geoffphoto 15 13.5k United Kingdom
2 Oct 2006 12:08PM
If it wasn't for a few wonderful people at Cheltenham Camera Club back in the late 70's and early 80's when I was a young member, I would not be working as a full time pro today - don't knock all the clubs, many now have digital projectors and lap tops due to lottery grants and are in the 21st century !!
snapbandit 17 2.3k 3 Northern Ireland
2 Oct 2006 1:41PM

Quote:some clubs members are more concerned with their equipment that with their pictures :-/

[pet peeve mode],
You'll find that attitude in quite a few on here - I've seen loads of threads where someone asks how to improve their photography & there is almost always someone who says to buy a new camera/lens etc..... rather than learn the technique required for the chosen subject.

no point in having technically brilliant - rubbish photos!!

[/ pet peeve mode]

Wink

JB
mattw 17 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2006 1:58PM

Quote:In my club we have members of all ages; quite a number of ladies; the membership couldn't give a stuff as to what equipment you wield;

It is like this at my club too.

Mattw
pentaxpete 16 711 1 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2006 3:35PM
Helen: I also learned all my photography from clubs and got my ARPS and ABIPP qualifications in 1970,and the club helped me to turn professional in 1959. I am now President of Brentwood & District Photographic Club where I give out free tuitional packs to new members including videos and take members out on 'Work Experience Press Photography' and run tuitional sessions at weekends and outings with another professional. We have many LADY members, 9 nationalities and many digital camera owners. Please TRY your local clubs;do NOT turn up LATE as members will not be able to talk to you if there is a show going on when you arrive. I joined my first 'Adult Club' when I was 15 years old; I didn't worry that I was the YOUNGEST MEMBER; I only thought I was among fellow photography enthusiasts ! When I was in the Army I used to arrange my leave so I could go to meetings; my Mum and Dad collected my prizes one year as I was in Germany.
peterjones 19 5.2k 1 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2006 3:41PM
I think it is great that there are so many positive comments re Camera Clubs, there of course some clubs which are very introspective and probably don't offer anything to an aspiring newcomer; the answer time willing is to try a few and see which appeals; most will allow you to turn up for one, two or a few evenings without payment.

Athough I have turned entirely pro I still enjoy Amersham PS's activities and the comps keep me well informed as to what a good print looks like; judges can spot a fault at 1000 yds and are quick to tell you about 'em Smile

Rgds. Peter.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.