Get 20% Off PortraitPro 22 With Our Exclusive Code

Camara clubs

2 Oct 2006 3:56PM
It's so strange I've just come across this, as I've just this minute been looking at a website for my local camera club in Windsor.

It sounds great, I'm just not sure whether I'd get over my nerves long enough to actually go there on my own.

I mainly want to go to make friends with other photographers, so we can perhaps go out together (to take photographs) as I get quite nervous going out with all my gear on my own still. And also to be able to join comps, etc, to keep me on my toes. But then, I wonder whether they will all be much older than me and won't want me tagging along anyway!

The Windsor club has an MSN group you can join without actually joining the club, which is an ideal way to get to know some people before actually going there. Maybe the club near you, offers something similar.
strawman 18 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2006 4:04PM
The club I am a member of offers a few free evening so people can come along and try out for a bit. Quite a few new members. Existing members Ages from 17 to 80's and a mix of male/female. To be honest till about a year ago there were few under 50's, and it was dying.

But it is reviving now after a policy of making it more about taking photo's etc and less about cups of teas and looking at slides taken 30 years ago. Not a pain free journey but it is getting there now.
pennyspike 18 2.1k 29 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2006 4:19PM
There's plenty of room for both, the cam club is more 'tactile'. It's good to see the actual rather than virtual images but EPZ is there late at night when I eventually have a bit of time to spare.

Our club is thriving, almost to the point of being full, the membership is diverse in equipment, age, gender and interests. I owe it a lot. We have a digital projector and run training sessions for the public. Among our membership we have professionals and internationally recognised photographers as well as people who just want to get the most from their cameras. I guess most of our membership is exclusively digital but we do have some traditional darkroom workers, and slides haven't completely disappeared.

The help I've had from here has helped me to achieve within the club and vice versa. I doubt whether I'd have discovered EPZ without being enthused about photography by belonging to a club.

Hope you find a club that suits your photographic needs.If you live in Dorset we'll make you very welcome at Dorchester CC.

Penny

As for attitude I was 'ticked off' for mentioning the words "Camera Club" in a previous post. Smile
stix 17 924 87 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2006 4:26PM
Strawman
How did you attract new younger members?
Martin
2 Oct 2006 4:26PM
Re Slides, slide entries are up for our club, but that is mainly due to people converting digital images to slides. By the time you have printed and mounted photo's it costs about as much as getting slides made, plus there is less time spent cutting fingers etc and there is a joy in seeing projected images.

As for make up of entries, about 80% are digital, and yes many of those working digital are older members. There are some traditional film workers too, a couple are Leica users and exhibit through a Leica organisation.
Carabosse 18 41.8k 270 England
2 Oct 2006 4:29PM

Quote:cups of teas and looking at slides taken 30 years ago.

Hey, I didn't know you'd visited my local camera club! ;-D
2 Oct 2006 4:34PM
Attracting new members.

1 We made more of the sessions active ones. This could be things like trips out instead of sitting in a hall, or sessions with models, or even open critique sessions, where everyone puts one or two photo's up and views from everyone are encouraged. A bit like a verbal version of the readers galery. Comments only, no points no winners.
2 We spoke to some members who were happy to terrify new people at the drop of a hat.
3 We held exhibitions localy, libraries etc
4 The web presense has helped
5 Altering the program to get more variety in. Speakers who were varied in their topics
6 Created a welcome leaflet that we have placed in local camera shop's College and Libraries.
7 Inviting new members to present work or take part in presentations.
helenruss11 15 27
2 Oct 2006 4:42PM
Many thanx for all replies.

Strawman your club sounds like the one I was hoping to find. Shame your not in Northampton!
2 Oct 2006 4:54PM
Good luck in your hunt. Try the local one. It may be that only half the program interests you, but that half may be good.
dave thelens 18 936 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2006 4:57PM

Quote:but that half may be good.

nahhhhh !!

Dave
2 Oct 2006 5:02PM
And if you think it is that bad tell them and leave. Not all clubs want to be everything to everyone.
mattw 17 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2006 5:09PM

Quote:It sounds great, I'm just not sure whether I'd get over my nerves long enough to actually go there on my own.

Well, how do you know unless you go and try it out?

You never know - you might really it, meeting many like minded people your own age.
And if you don't enyoy it, you don't have to go back.

Matt
whipspeed 17 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2006 5:56PM
Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but does anyone go to clubs in Northamptonshire?
pentaxpete 16 712 1 United Kingdom
3 Oct 2006 7:54PM
Re Northamptonshire: I found several by going to www.cameraclubs.co.uk and typing in Northamptonshire in the search box. You can also find them on THIS SITE by going to'Directories'on the left column; look under 'clubs'.
whipspeed 17 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
3 Oct 2006 7:59PM
Thanks, I did a search and went to my local one in Wellingborough, but it wasn't right for me, they were really friendly & welcoming, but seemed much older than me. Organising a trip they were worried about a 1/4 mile walk round a garden.
Shame really as they only met a little way from home.
Does anyone go to a good Northamptonshire club?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.